Chapter 10:The Attic

I quickly went into my room and grabbed my pendant with the key inside. This key unlocked both the attic and the box that I found. This is the key that would reveal a lot of secrets today.

stepping near the door to the attic, I looked at Emilia.

"Are you ready Em?"

"Ya, go ahead and open the door, Jocelyn"

I put the key in the keyhole. it was a little rusty but it opened with ease. I opened the door to reveal a normal-looking living room, we both stepped into the attic and sat in the dark blue sofa present there.

"This seems normal Jocelyn, it's just another living space. why would Julia hide this from me?"

"Em... The mansion is big! the attic covers the whole mansion without any breaks! I am sure there is more to this!"

As I said that to Emilia, I glanced around to take a view. There seemed to be a living room and an open kitchen and there were 3 doors to the left and 4 doors to the right. I could also see a small hallway next to the kitchen which led to someplace dark.

Emilia walked up to the kitchen and opened the cabinets. Inside was a box of expired tuna, some mac and cheese boxes and an extremely rotten banana. I don't understand how this place doesn't stink.

"Jocelyn, why is there tuna here? all of you, your sister, your mom and you are allergic to tuna!"

"I really don't know Emilia...."

We then opened the first door to the left. The room was all purple decorated. there was a toddler bed in there with a closet full of girls' clothes. The next room On the left was similar to the previous room but was all pink and had a crib instead of a toddler bed.

Could this possibly be Sofia and I's room? But our childhood rooms were downstairs! and who could possibly live in the attic while there are 4 perfectly good floors to live below?

Curiously we opened the last door on the left side, a playroom! Moving to the right side the first room seemed to a library/piano room.

"Your mother never played the piano, Jocelyn!"Em said.

The attic seemed to get more and more interesting now. The second door on the right was a master bedroom decorated in blues and greys. The 3rd room seemed to be a huge bathroom with 2 tubs and showers. the last room on the right surprised us the most. How do I put it into words? It seems like a ....... Man cave...A game room? 

That's when something struck my mind.

"Emilia... Do you think....Possibly that the raven lived here? Like my mom wanted us to be a normal family. so she built this whole separate house up here in the attic so that the raven and she could peacefully live here. This would explain a lot of things like why she was so secretive about the attic, why there is tuna in here and a piano?"

"You kind of read my mind on this one Jocelyn. But could this even be possible? Of course, the magic would have helped them a lot...But I don't know"

"There is only one way to find out em... we still have to see what's past the hallway. maybe it could give us some idea?"

And answers did we get. the hallway leads to a single room so big. The room was quite overwhelming. There were so many bookshelves containing my mom's diaries and The raven's dairy, his real name was Ericson. There were ottomans to sit on. On the walls hung pictures of them together as a couple, some pictures of us a family. But one picture caught my attention. A man who I am assuming is raven held a little girl about 3 years old. he was pretending to throw the girl up in the air, both of them had big grins on their faces. it was taken in the master bedroom of the attic. I clearly knew that the girl was me. But I did not remember any of this. 

"Jocelyn see this entry on your mother's diary. she describes how awful it feels to erase her kid's memory every time you guys leave the attic. she did not want to take any risk. It was like you led 2 different lives and one was them was erased constantly. she even wrote the spell she used on you. The spell is so complicated, every time you enter the attic your memory comes back and every time you leave it erases." Emilia was so surprised when she told me all of this

"I entered the attic Em! I don't remember anything!"

"that's because the spell has not been performed on you for a long time, we can do it anytime you like. If you want the memories back. It could help us with a lot of things and solve mysteries"

"I am not ready to do that em! I will tell you when I am. this is a lot of information tot ake in. My mom led 2 lives. The raven lived right under your noses. Em, I suggest we don't tell anyone about this. it's all buried deep. We will tell Sofia when the time comes"

"Sure Jocelyn, your wish is my command" I giggled a little hearing this. "I am going to keep the spell with me, Jocelyn, come to me when you want the memories back. I will gladly do it for you. Let's head back downstairs. We have been here for a long time, people will start to get suspicious."

"Hmmm..." I replied and took 2 of my mothers and the raven dairies before heading down. I have a lot of reading to do.

My mum was smart. she kept two diaries a month the normal one, was kept downstair. it still had information about what we did but in the "normal world" and another diary, which was in the attic this one all bout her relationship with Ericson, and us as a family. It was literally like she led 2 lives.