11. Teenagers

From that night on, it seemed no more tragedy could come our way. Sure, people were still exercising their right to free speech when it came to us dating, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Besides, Gary asked me to the school dance on Friday night, that would be the first one I've ever been asked to.

Of course, Ronnie and I still wern't best friends, but we aren't at each others throats anymore. For the first time in my life, things were actully okay.

Slowly but surely, my dad dropped his tough guy image around Gary. I suppose a whole bunch of rumours and stereotypes were in his head, as well as the lingering anxiety from Ryder.

Gary brought Bethany over, as well as a new train for Kayden's set. Gary and I had just came in from walking her when dinner was set on the table.

"Mom look what Gary got me." Kayden jumped up and down as he showed my mother the new toy train. "Can he move in?"

"Hey, doesn't sound like a bad idea." Gary joked, my father almost choking on his mashed potatoes. "Sir I'm kidding."

Later on, maybe about eight o clock, Gary and Kayden were playing with the train set, my father was sleeping and my mom was doing my nails.

"Kennedy don't move! You'll turn this whole damn couch pink!" My mother said.

"Sorry Ma." I smiled at the bond Gary had with Kayden. I know I probobly make this observation all the time, but someday he is going to make a great father.

The real fun part came about 8 30, trying to get Kayden to go to bed. He's always been stubborn about it, tonight however he decided to protest about how its unfair that I can stay up but he can't.

"C'mon buddy." Gary took his hand, and bent down so he appreaed to be the same height as the child. "Will you if I read you a bed time story?"

"And check under my bed for monsters?" Kayden asked, eyes wide and Gary nodded.