Chapter Twenty Three - Out Here It's Like I'm Someone Else

The plane ride home had been, to put it briefly, an experience.

The moment she sat down, a doe-eyed stewardess was at her side asking "Miss Michaels" if there was anything she could get for her. Rose, very noticeably put off by the fact that a complete stranger both knew her name and was smiling at her so wide, shot a bewildered look at the Hitachiins before shaking her head vigorously and turning away from the woman.

For the entirety of the two hour flight, Hikaru and Kaoru switched places next to Rose, as the aisles were only two seats wide, while the other took up residence behind her. Neither stopped talking for the duration, asking questions with such rapid fire that she would forget two or three as she answered one. Forgetting was also an effective strategy to ignore unpleasant inquiries as well - though to be honest, there were some questions that she just couldn't answer.

Hikaru and Kaoru were unabashed and shameless in their interrogation (though they didn't think as much as they aren't well accustomed to social cues). Any question that popped into their minds, they asked and Rose soon began to realize that their kindness came with a price: her privacy. They were on a mission to uncover everything they could about this girl who had unexpectedly found her way into their lives and Rose had half a mind to tell them their attempts were in vain. They could ask all they wanted; she didn't have the answers they were looking for.

But some of the questions were easy enough and, after being spoiled with snacks she could never afford, she was, maybe a little, buttered up. So when they asked about her foster parents she was happy enough to brag about the caring people who took her in, about their mundane but inspiring careers, and about how they taught her what being loved felt like.

"She can see straight through people," Rose said on the plane about her foster mother. "After so many years working in social services, she just has this uncanny ability to just know."

There was a different feel to the air around them when Rose spoke about her parents. It was the first time either brother had seen those chocolate eyes light up in such a way and, as they snuck a quick look at each other, they had the distinct feeling that they were catching a glimpse of a completely different Rose. What a complex flower.

However, as Kyoya would say, the beauty of such moments are fleeting and the fragile instant was shattered by an announcement from the flight attendant that they were about to begin their descent to Richmond. The shine in Rose's eyes dulled as anxiousness filled her heart.

On the other hand, Hikaru and Kaoru buckled themselves back into their seats with elevated anticipation. Excitement was coursing through their veins as the Richmond skyline peaked through the overcast sky and they knew they were just that much closer to the end goal: Rose's home.

The moment they were allowed to move around again, the twins had grabbed Rose by each arm and quickly (and literally) dragged her out of the plane and into the Richmond Jet Center. In all honesty, there was no need for them to be so hasty as Rose's mother had never been to that part of the airport before and had promptly gotten lost.

Instead of whisking themselves away immediately off to the Richard's, the trio was stuck waiting inside the private terminal (two of them sulking while laying casually across several chairs). It wasn't until 20 minutes later that Molly's dirty blonde head popped through the automatic sliding doors and called Rose's name that the boys finally jumped out of their exaggerated stupor, and raced to Rose's side to meet her foster mother.

"You boys best get your arms off my daughter," Molly said fiercely, narrowing her eyes at the twins and revelling in the way their composure faltered. There was tension in the air as the Hitachiins slowly backed away from Rose and let their arms fall to their sides.