41. Clusterfuck

I came awake to the feeling of Jackson tracing his fingers along my bare back and I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face. About a month ago, when I agreed to this ridiculous engagement, I didn't even imagine this was possible.

I thought I was cursed to live a loveless marriage and play a role for the personal gain of others. Now, I'm laying here, naked in a hotel room, with the man I fell in love with.

"Good morning, Princess." That deep baritone was something I'll never get tired of hearing.

I turned to face him, admiring his piercing blue eyes as they met mine. "Good morning."

He held my gaze for a few minutes. When I didn't say anything, his mouth lifted in a half smile. "What are you thinking?"

That was a loaded question. I probably had a thousand passing thoughts going through my head. I also kept replaying last night; his words repeating themselves over and over again. "I'm wondering if this is real or a dream."

He reached out and pinched my arm. "Ow! What did you do that for?"

His deep chuckle sent chills down my spine. "I'm proving to you that this is very real."

Well, he was right about that. This was definitely not a dream. That also made this more terrifying. Because if this was reality, then it was still possible that things could go wrong.

I worried my bottom lip as I finally sat up, leaning against the headboard and pulling the sheet around me. "So, last night happened..."

"More than once if memory serves," he said with a smirk as he repeated his words from the first time we slept together and saw each other at the engagement party.

"Not that," I chuckled. My thighs were so sore from our sex-athon, there was no way that didn't happen. "I mean, you know."

He raised a brow. "When I said that I loved you? Yes, Princess. That definitely happened."

Even though I knew it was ludicrous, I still couldn't believe this wasn't a dream. It seemed like time stopped and it was only us in the world. I wanted it to stay like this forever.

When I didn't say anything back, he asked, "What's troubling you? I can see it all over your face."

I glanced away, unable to meet his gaze. "I'm scared."

"Scared of what?" He pressed and I hesitated. "Our problem before was communication, Princess. Tell me."

He was right about that. One of the problems we had before was communication about our feelings. If we wanted this to work, we were going to have to be honest and open with each other.

Because if we weren't, we would end up probably back where we started. Or worse, not together at all. And that thought also terrified me. I loved Jackson with all my heart and when I thought about my future, it was with him.

I finally met his gaze. "I'm scared that you might freak out again when we start getting more serious. Scared you'll pull away from me. I can't go through that again."

He knew what I was implying. That if he got scared again, he might do what he did before. He closed his eyes tight before meeting my gaze. "Princess, I regret what happened because it hurt you. On the other hand, I don't regret it because it brought us here, together. I can't promise you that we won't have rough times, or that I won't get scared again because, yes, it is possible. But I can promise you that I won't push you away and I will be one hundred percent faithful to you. Princess, I love you. You are the only one I want. Forever."

His words comforted me and made me feel better. I believed him and knew he meant them. He was right, we couldn't predict the future and we probably would go through some hard times; but we loved each other and that's what matters.