7. Double Date

I double checked my eyeliner in the mirror before I put on my lipstick. Tonight was the night. With Ryan, not Jackson. I actually hadn't spoken Jackson since the day Lanie and I went shopping. Tonight, I was getting ready or Ryan to come and pick me up. He was going to take me to dinner. We did this a few times a month to keep up appearances. Even though we weren't compatible, we were still able to tolerate each other.

I never minded it since we tended to get along and we did good as friends. One thing that did bother me every time we went on date night, was the fact that it never actually felt like a date. It felt like I was hanging out with one of my friends...Which I was.

A chime on my cell phone let me know Ryan was here. I grabbed my purse and jacket as I headed out of my apartment. He got out of his blue truck and gave me a quick kiss before holding the passenger door open for me. I mean, Ryan is definitely a gentleman, but not the one for me.

"So, where are we going tonight?" I asked when he started driving.

"We're going to your favorite restaurant."

Well, that's a bonus. Our date nights usually went pretty well, and they never intended to be awkward. The only thing that was usually awkward, was when we had to get all lovey-dovey in front of relatives who had no idea that we were not in love. It gets exhausting trying to put up an act in front of everyone and everything. I barely even know how to act like myself anymore.

We talked about random stuff until we finally arrived at the restaurant. Luckily, we got seated at our table quickly and Ryan ordered wine for the both of us. Red for him and white for me.

After we finally ordered our food, he cleared his throat. "So, you're having your bachelorette party on the trip?"

"Yeah," I replied, meeting his gaze. "Is that okay with you?"

"Actually, it's hilarious. When my mom called me to tell me, I couldn't stop laughing. I knew she was pissed, but it was awesome."

I laughed at his statement. "Yeah, my mom wasn't thrilled either. But, if they want this, then we deserve fun." I took a sip of my wine before I had a thought. "You should have your bachelor party when we're there."

"Who should have their bachelor party when?"

Oh, God. Jackson. We both looked over and Jackson was standing by our table with a brunette who looked like she belonged on the cover of Sports Illustrated. His arm was wrapped around her thin waist as she stood closely to his side. What the hell was he doing here? I mean, she's pretty I guess, but why? She just seemed so fake, but that could be what he's used too.

"Jay!" Ryan exclaimed as he got to his feet and clapped his brother on the back.

"So," Jackson said as he slid his glance to me. "What are you two up to?"

Ryan smiled at me. "Date night. How about you? Are you going to introduce us to your lovely lady here?"

"Apologies, this is Jillian."

She reached out and shook Ryan's extended hand before offering it to me. "It's nice to meet you."

Don't be obvious, I thought. "Hey," I said with the most genuine smile I could make. Okay, it was fake as hell. "I'm Harper."

"What's this about a bachelor party?" Jackson asked Ryan.

Ryan laughed as he slid a mischievous look to me. "Well, my fiancée here decided to have her bachelorette party during our trip. She suggested I should have my bachelor party there, too."

Jackson smiled and laughed a little. "Anything to piss off the parents, right?"

"Exactly," Ryan replied. "So, where's your table?"