17. Warning Signs

"I would ask how your night went, but I think this explains it."

Lanie's voice drew my intention as I walked out of my bathroom carrying some body wash and other essentials. She was standing by the bed holding up the dress she lent me with a frown and an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, about that," I said as I set the bottles down on my bed,"we got a little...carried away last night."

"I can see that."

"Jackson said he'll reimburse you for the dress," I said with a smile. He had given me some cash early this morning to give to her for the dress. That was before he got the phone call about his mom.

Lanie seemed surprised by my statement and looked from the dress to me one more time before she threw it on the bed. "You know what? Don't worry about it. Consider it an early wedding gift from me to you."

Now, I was the one who was shocked. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I mean, clearly you definitely got the money's worth for it."

She was right about that. When I looked back at her, her smile faded and she ID'ed my suitcase that was laying open on the couch.

"Why are you packing? We're supposed to be here for a few more days."

Well, I guess Lanie was going to be the first one I had to have this uncomfortable conversation with. Ryan was next. "Jackson got a phone call from his mom's doctor. She's very sick and may not have a lot of time left. He's going to fly to London today to be with her."

Lanie knew me better than anyone. She didn't even need me to say it. Hell, even if I didn't have my suitcase out, she would have known. "When is your flight?"

"I'm not sure yet. I need to talk to Ryan. Obviously he has to go with me. Otherwise..."

"He's going to know what's going on between you and Jackson. Speaking of, how does he feel about you going? Did he ask you to go?"

Damn, Lanie was not only psychic about things, but she was very inquisitive. I'm surprised she didn't become a reporter. "I insisted that I go with him."

I could tell by her expression that she had a million questions for me. More importantly, she had a million warnings for me. I knew she was going to say that this was a bad idea. She would say that this could lead to an emotional connection between Jackson and I. She would say that I was putting myself at risk of falling in love with him. She wouldn't be wrong by saying that. But right now, none of those things mattered.

I kept seeing Jackson's heart-wrenching expression when he told me about his mom. Even if we weren't involved and didn't have this confusing connection between us, even if he was just a friend, you don't leave a friend alone in these types of situations.

"Lanie, he can't go through this alone. He needs both me and Ryan there with him."

She let out a long breath before she walked up to me and pulled me into a tight hug. There was a knock at the door and she pulled out of the embrace.

"Expecting someone?" She asked.

"Yeah. That would be Ryan. I sent him a text and asked him to come over here so I can fill him in on what's going on." I started walking towards the door and then a thought occurred to me. I turned around quickly and lowered my voice when I told Lanie, "I'm going to tell Ryan that Jackson was here seeing you when he got the call and I just happened to be here too."

"Okay, good idea," she said before walking to her room.

I hesitated before I reached for the door handle and opened it to let Ryan inside.