37. Trust

My heart nearly stopped when I saw Jackson go upstairs with that woman. What the hell was he doing? My brain refused to let me accept the obvious answer. There's no way Jackson would do that to me.

Unable to stop myself, I followed after them. That nagging feeling got worse with every step I took up the large staircase. When I got closer to Ryan's dad's library, I heard the woman giggling and Jackson's deep baritone.

It got quiet right as I approached the doorway to the library, and I hesitated before turning the corner. That's when I saw it. Jackson and the woman were kissing. It felt like time stopped in that moment. I couldn't help but wonder if he was kissing her the same way he kissed me. I saw his hands on her body and I felt nauseous.

I couldn't stop the gasp that escaped me when I saw him deepen the kiss. My hands flew to my mouth as he turned and looked over at me. I couldn't judge what his expression was, and I turned and ran.

I flew down the stairs and went straight for the front door, never stopping as I pushed through the crowded living room and foyer.

I didn't even feel the tears falling down my face until I got in my car and started driving towards my apartment. How could he do this to me? I knew that he was against love, but I thought we had an understanding. I thought we at least cared about each other.

I heard the sound of my cell phone ringing and I didn't have to look at it to know who it was. For some reason I didn't understand, I answered.

"What?" I barked into the phone.

"Princess, let me-"

"Explain?" I cut him off; knowing he was just going to lie some more. "There's nothing to explain. I saw what you were doing. What are you going to say? That you slipped and fell into her mouth?"

He let out a long breath over the phone. "It wasn't like that, listen-"

"You know what's really fucked up? I told Ryan I knew the real you. He warned me about who you were and I defended you. I said you were different. But you were playing me this whole time weren't you?" I felt even sicker when I asked my next question. "How many other women were you with since we started this whole thing, Jackson? Three, five, more than that?"

"God, no. I swear I wasn't with anyone, but you. You have to believe that."

I so desperately wanted to believe him, but how could I? Even though we made an arrangement not catch feelings for each other, I fell for him. I let my heart rule me instead of my brain and now I'm paying the price.

"How can I trust you after what I just saw? How can I believe anything you say?"

For some odd reason I could tell he was pacing back and forth on the other end of the phone. Good, I hope he was feeling stressed. Because right now, I was a fucking wreck.

He didn't answer me and I knew he wouldn't. There was nothing he could say that would change my mind. I let out a long breath when I said, "The sad part about all of this, Jackson, was that I wanted to believe what your mom told me about you. I so badly wanted her to be right. But I was an idiot."

"What the hell are you talking about? What did she say to you?"

"It doesn't matter. We're done, Jackson."

I hung up the phone and immediately blocked his number. I knew he would keep calling me if I didn't and I needed some time to think. Besides, hearing his voice would only make it harder.

I sent a group text to Laine and Danielle and asked them to meet me at my apartment. I needed them tonight more than ever. I knew Danielle was dealing with her own mess with Ryan and it's best if we were there for each other.