31. Who Ordered Coffee?

"Dammit, Jackson," I muttered as I examined my neck in the bathroom. Jackson got a little carried away last night when he was kissing my neck. Now, I have a fresh hickey available for anyone to see.

When I woke up next to him this morning, he was laying next to me with a satisfied smile on his face. When I asked him what was so amusing, he said I would find out soon enough.

Ryan sent him a text letting him know he wasn't far from where we were staying and I had went back to my room to take a shower when I looked in the mirror and saw what Jackson was so proud of.

I started applying some of my makeup that I carried in my purse to cover it up. Thankfully, it seemed to do the job. I walked into Jackson's room freshly showered and dressed in my clothes now. Ryan had arrived about an hour ago and, thankfully he brought me a couple of my dresses and essentials.

And I stepped further into the room, Jackson eyes met mine and and gave me a look as he eyed my neck. God only knew what was going through his head right now.

"Hey, Anne," Ryan said as he got up from his chair to give me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, thank you for coming," I replied as I sat next to him at the table. "So," I said as I looked from Jackson to Ryan. "Any update?"

Ryan smiled and I tried not getting my hopes up. "It's good news. I was able to make sure that you don't have to leave your job and come work for my father."

Clearly, I didn't hear him correctly. I stared at him like he grew an extra head. "I'm sorry...what?"

Both he and Jackson smile widened as Ryan repeated, "Your job is safe, and. You don't have to worry about putting teaching anymore. No matter what happens. Unless you want to, of course."

I was so overcome with relief and excitement, I grabbed Ryan's face and planted a kiss right on his lips. "I can't believe it! Thank you! How did you do it?"

Ryan glanced to Jackson before he said, "I pretty much told him that, if he wanted me to take over the company in the future, then he needed to do this for me. He's been asking me to sign a document that guarantees me as his successor when he steps down as CEO. I've been putting it off for a while and, luckily, when I told him I would sign it if he allowed you to keep your job, he agreed."

I sat there for a moment, stunned into temporary silence. I didn't want Ryan to get stuck doing something he didn't want to do. "Ryan, please tell me you didn't trap yourself in a job that you didn't want for me. I don't want you to do that."

"I didn't," he said as he placed his hand over mine. "I was always planning on taking over his company someday. I guess something inside of me kept putting it off and I'm glad it did. I'm glad I could help you with this, and. I really am." He gave me a sad look as he said, "I know how hard this whole thing has been on you. I know what you and I are both giving up by agreeing to this marriage. So, I don't regret doing this to help you at all."

I sat there completely surprised at the situation. I had spent most of the morning convincing myself not to get my hopes up, that this is probably going to go bad.

It was times like this that I honestly wish it was possible for me to fall in love with Ryan. He was such a good guy and I would be lucky to have him in my life. Unfortunately, I was in love with Jackson.

I thought about Ryan and his situation with Danielle. He told me he had feelings for her and that made my chest ache a little for him. If he was in love with her, then he was in the same boat as me. I wonder how she felt about him. I barely spoke to her since I got back from London. Probably because she was ashamed to talk to me and didn't want to have to lie to me about the situation.