Chapter 7

"I doubt you remember it. You were so...so lighthearted at the time and I was steeped in embarrassed. I-I still am." Theo spoke sheepishly, laughing at himself purely our of awkwardness; he was unable to meet her gaze and looked rather too much at the ground.

Mrs Abbot had invited him to stay for tea again, sparking an argument over how he almost lived in their household. Mrs Abbot insisted he seldom stayed for long, whilst her husband agreed with the children that he had been frequenting their home for as long as they could remember and he always stayed far longer than he ever intended to. Throughout this argument, various memories of his visits were raised, including the time he helped Tibby with clearing up after dinner and ended up dropping all the scraps into her dress when he attempted to dispose of them.

"When was this?" Tibby asked. Most likely she couldn't remember it because it hadn't bothered her at all. By the end of the day, her dress would have already been stained with dirt and dew.

"I think you must have been fourteen, so five years ago. Oh, you must remember! Poor Theo didn't cease apologising for the rest of the week," Tibby's sister Rebecca said.

"That certainly sounds like him," Tibby said. Theo smiled at her, feeling known. "Mammy, may I walk Theo home tonight?" she asked once they had cleared everything away.

"No. I have spoken to you both about this. You mustn't be alone anymore," Mrs Abbot replied.

"Why not? We have been alone a thousand times before and it's dark so no one would see us!"

"You know why not. You're too close to leaving childhood to be alone with one another. It's improper, especially in the dark," Mrs Abbot. She turned to Theo. "I trust you shall heed this, even if Tibby tries not to?" There was a desperation in her voice. She knew her child too well to not be fearful of her behaviour. Her naivety blinded her.

Despite the look he received from his friend, he agreed willingly. He had started to feel strange being alone with anyone of them recently, especially since Constance had said to him that he was starting to look like a man. His shoulders had widened and his voice lowered. Even in his awkwardness, with limbs far too long for the rest of his body and an inability to handle himself, he noticed his change as much as the three girls noticed their own. Therefore, as dearly as he loved them all individually, he agreed it was best that they acknowledged the shift amongst them.

"He's such a sensible creature," Mrs Abbot said.

"Sensible often borders on being incredibly dull," muttered Tibby, her anger over his compliance poisoning her words. She had only meant for her mam to hear those words. She expected to hear her mam scold her for her cruelty, but instead she simply heard her say farewell to Theo, who stood right behind them. He had heard.

Still, he said not a bad word against her as they parted ways. Through his sincere gratitude and his smiles, Tibby suspected he tried to show no offence had been taken. However, there was a quietness about him that placed a little sadness in his character. But why should he be upset now? She had called him boring on countless occasions and he never took it to heart! Though, in truth, she always said it to make fun of him and in turn he never took it with any seriousness. Speaking of him without intending him to hear meant she hadn't wanted him laugh at himself, or indeed at her. Therefore, it felt truer, as if she really meant it.

Well, she had meant it. He was always so hesitant with everything and she never knew why. At least Charis had motive; she feared the consequences of disobedience, yet Theo had no such premonition. He bore each punishment they had ever received for their scrapes unblinkingly. What other conclusion could one reach except that he was dull?