Chapter 18

Constance waits on the stairway, rather uninterested in what is being said because she knows the outcome, yet seeing no reason to venture to her bedroom when she will soon be called down once more.

"Well done. You've certainly found a good man," her mother says to her.

"Yes. He's perfect, isn't he?" Constance replies. What are the predicates of perfection? Perhaps some would look at Leon and say he is perfect because he known to be good natured and cheerful. He is law abiding and on good terms with all, especially those of the church.

However, Constance doesn't care for any such virtues. What she sees in Leon is a dim witted son of an alderman, meaning he is easily led and in a position of power. Constance can live through him. Thinking of this, she smiles to herself and she uses this to feign loving bliss as she is beckoned downstairs by her father, who has given the match his blessing.

Leon grins the entire time. Constance soon tires quickly of this excessive display but remains sweet, not disclosing the sharp side of her tongue everyone else in that room knows she possesses. She decides that Leon shall never see it. He shall know only compliance.

"My love," she says to him, "We should marry as soon as we are able."

He looks at her with disbelief, displaying a soppy, boyish grin that should belong only to a child when it sees snow for the first time. "Might I ask Reverend Castell to wed us next week, then?"

"Thank you!" she says, making her voice breathless and sweet. "Surely we shall be the happiest of all people."

Leon wants to reach for her hand and hold onto it tightly, but he dares not to. Surely someone as sweet and perfect as Constance would never accept such a gesture, especially not before her family. No, any affection will wait until after they are wed. Therefore, he settles for smiling at her once more and agreeing. "Indeed we shall."

***

"I should think he'll treat you very well. He's always been sweet on you," Theo says after Constance asks her friends what they think of the match.

"I like him! He's very jolly." Tibby speaks from the floor, which she squats on as she looks at the bread she's making slowly rise, swelling under the heat.

"He's a fool," Gideon says from the end of the table without looking up from his papers. He dips his pen in the ink and continues scribbling, as if contemplation of Leon isn't even worth his full attention.

"Exactly," Constance says. She doesn't disclose herself fully before Gideon, but her motivations are utterly clear to him. They are of the same brand, she and him.

He nods at her, looking a little impressed. Some may call this condescending towards someone like Constance, who requires no validation. "It is prudent- obvious, even- to choose a partner suited to your aims," he agrees.

Tibby jumps up. "I suppose I suit your aims nicely," she says, her eyes glinting.

Gideon raises his eyebrows dubiously. "You'd suit my aims better if you congregated elsewhere while I'm working."

"Forgive me. I shall simply rebuild the house so that the oven is in parlour," Tibby says as she pulls the bread from the fire.

"Not at all. Only, I didn't realise it took three people engaging in social conversion to cook a loaf of bread."

"Tush tush! I'm sure Leon will never be so unobliging towards Constance." She has to remain lighthearted on the topic because otherwise she will cripple herself with the thought that soon, all three of them shall be married. Not one of them will remain steadfast against the world, strong before its pressures. With Constance passing herself over, nothing of their childhood innocence shall remain. She is the last key.