Chapter 29

Both Tibby and Constance have been hear before, standing together as they hear that a piece of them shall be taken away from them. They sit in the church as Charis' execution the following morning is announced, but the moment these words are spoken Tibby begins to suffocates. She staggers outside to find breath and Constance follows her.

So overcome with anxiety, Tibby's body is pulled against the church wall and sinks downwards, her chest collapsing in on itself. Like someone searching for light in the night, she reaches up her hand to find Constance to hold onto so she can feel something- anything- that remains with her.

Constance is in a trance. She walked out of the church slowly, half resigned and half disbelieving, and now stands above Tibby. She takes her hand as Tibby stumbles for her, but remains completely detached. Her mind has turned to blankness as it overstretches itself with a need to find a trick to save Charis. With no cavalry or strength, how can they expect it?

When Gideon comes outside to comfort his wife, Tibby remains close to Constance. The two friends stay together, their thoughts so different but their pain shared. He tries to place his hands on Tibby's shoulders but, although she does not move away, she cannot melt into his contact as she should.

How wretched they both look! They looks as if they may shatter at any moment. Turning from Gideon, they exist in all the agony of grief alone, and grasp onto one another with such fervent exclamation. Gideon thinks he shall forever remember the despair etched upon their faces; it shakes with ashen mortality.

Shall he stand there and let them grieve? How can he? His heart overflows with a tenderness he is no longer capable of suppressing. Instead of turning away from them to wipe their grief from his minds so he can continue with a clear conscience, he turns away with their faces alive in his thoughts. It is them who propels him back into the church.

Half mad, he approaches the aldermen before the entire congregation. His hands shake but he steadies them by holding them behind his back. Aware of the eyes following him but seeing only Charis', he says, "Aldermen, I must protest this conviction."

The town comes alive with intrigue, a murmur running over them. It is hardly expected that someone such as Marlow would attempt to intercept justice.

"On what grounds?" Alderman Grant asks.

"The law, sir, which states that upon a confession, a witch is to be saved from execution as they have shown remorse and intent to free themselves from the Devil. Mrs Yeardley has confessed and must be extended this right," Gideon says. His words steady as he continues.

It is Yeardley who speaks now, his tone almost condescending. Poor Mr Marlow doesn't quite understand the weight of the situation. "She has confessed to being the centre of all witch activity in Rowley Bridge. This is unprecedented. How can we expect such a person to return to the light? Surely the protection of the town is more important than any law?"

"That being so, the law-"

"-The law is secondary to God, sir. The only reason to save this witch now is to protect the Devil's involvement here. Is that what you want, Marlow?" Yeardley's question turns everyone towards him, waiting. His answer may be a confession.

The people, so wearied from the hunts and desperate from an end, have lost thought of the law. How can they care about it when it stands in the way of the result which shall save them all? Yeardley has forced them to view Charis' death as the only escape and, despite having no reason to believe she is guilty, they accept this lie like a lost man accepting a drink in the middle of a desert. Their eyes beg Gideon to stand down and say nothing more. Let it end here, they say. Do not let yourself die as well.