Chapter 30

Epilogue

---

1 year later

---

Constance walks alone to the end of the town, the basket in her hand swinging with the steady pace of her stride. She pushes aside the long hanging branches which dust blossom on her pathway and follows the single trail of footsteps which have etched themselves so heavily into this pathway from walking this way a thousand times.

When her footsteps end, Constance reaches the small cottage which sits secluded from the rest of the town. The roof is caved in ever so slightly on the edge and Constance thinks she will have to fetch someone to fix it soon enough, even if she will have to pay them rather a lot to come. Charis may have been spared any legal conviction, but the social taint of her infidelity remain even if they believe it arose from a bewitchment and few want to be associated with her anymore. Her husband is separated from her now.

Despite this seclusion, Constance walks in and finds her in good spirits as usual. "You must be quiet," Charis says, her face breaking into a smile as Constance enters, "She's sleeping." She points to the baby curled up in the corner of the shrunken room.

"Theo was rather hoping he could play with her today," Constance says as she enters, her own child trailing behind her. He steps over to Elizabeth and places his hands on the splintered crib, looking down at the baby wide-eyed as he always does. "I told him Elizabeth is still too young to be good company, but doubtless they shall be the best of friends once she grows up a little."

Charis leads Constance to the rickety table in the middle of the room. She glows at what Constance says, for few parents in the town would ever allow their children to play with a girl born out of such sin- of witchcraft and infidelity. Constance and Theo are a great comfort to her.

However, in the deepness of the world she lives in, she finds it impossible to despair too often. How can she? She is alone with her daughter, yes, but this solitude brings her such a freedom. They exist in a quiet bubble, utterly undisturbed by anyone else. She is not truly welcome in the town and hence never has to see Yeardley again.

"I brought you some more food. I know the minister's provisions arrived yesterday but they are rather meagre," Constance says, placing the basket before them, "And I also have the money from the stitching you did."

"You managed to convince people to use me as a seamstress?"

"I told them it was me," Constance admitted. What did it matter? The work was done all the same. "Would you like the money, or would you prefer to give me a list of things you'd like me to buy for you?"

"Yes, that would be better. I can't face going into town," Charis says. After a moment of silence, she adds, "Perhaps when I am older and the lines on my face hide the shame." She laughs.

"You have no shame to hide," Constance says, although she knows that Charis needs no comforting. The glow in her eyes has returned. She is like a different person, so rejuvenated and full of life. The change that her daughter has brought about in her is miraculous. yet she always knew this is what she wanted. Whilst is has not come in the shape she expected, she has earned her quiet life as a mother after years of misery.

As the two women watch their children, Constance asks, "Do you think they shall be like their namesakes?"

"I hope so. Then it shall be like we are all together again," Charis says, though she has her doubts that she will be able to raise a daughter quite as wild as their old friend. The world she is raising Elizabeth in is so hushed, after all. Still, the baby is bright and almost never cries. There is a gift in that- something like sunshine. This helps ease the pain of the loss they both feel keenly in their chests still. They suppose it is a sore which can never truly heal. "But we shall see them again in heaven," Charis says.

How long away that seems to them both, who in that moment are so light and youthful that they feel they may live forever. "I suppose Theo is the only one of us who knows where Tibby is now," Constance says, "I do wonder...I wonder all the time- where on earth could she be?"

This uncertainty is a good thing, Charis thinks. It protects them all, including Tibby. It keeps the town functioning, so the seasons pass in a dullness, moving from greys to colours all the time. It keeps the people looking behind their shoulders but saying nothing and allows for their sleep to be undisturbed. "No one shall ever know. She has utterly disappeared into the world," Charis says.

With a smile, they both agree that is exactly what she always wanted.