Chapter 11

After Agnes' execution, Obadiah Yeardley felt a stirring in his chest. He had been called to save Rowley Bridge- he knew it- and he could see the manifestation of its turmoil in the corruption of Miss Elizabeth Abbot, so lost and ignorant, yearning for his guidance.

If she were ever to be taken into God's kingdom, her mind would need to be altered. Mr Yeardley believed God had led him to hear Tibby's unnatural words on the day of the wedding so that he may understand what needed to be done. A light shone upon him, taking him to the Abbot household where he was greeted with surprise. After all, their family had been disgraced. What was a man of infinite respect doing at the very house he had darkened, only a day ago calling for its blood amongst his teachings of mercy?

It would be no exaggeration to state that Mr Abbot was scared when he came in. He had witnessed Mr Yeardley fall from softness to a crashing anger in just a moment. Had he come to seek a personal retribution for Tibby now that she had been acquitted through a mere beating?

"We are all children of God, deserving of His mercy after repentance," Mr Yeardley said, almost as if he could see the careful concern building within Mr Abbot.

He was led to the table but declined any refreshments. He sat carefully in their little house and smiled at anyone who came in with a closed mouth, though Mr Abbot ushered them away the moment they entered. Once they were alone, Mr Yeardley asked, "Has Miss Elizabeth repented?"

"Yes, of course. I promise you, sir, that she knows now how naive and foolish she behaved," Mr Abbot said. His voice was so forceful. He did not know what to say, whether to praise Tibby further or thank him for his mercy or condemn her to save the reputation of the family. Nothing within Mr Yeardley's face revealed what he should do.

"I am most glad to hear it, yet I worry still- what with her behaviour being so long a source of trouble for your family," he said.

"-I assure you, sir-"

Mr Yeardley raised his hand to silence him. Mr Abbot's voice vanquished immediately. "I may have a solution. It would seem to me that Miss Elizabeth is of marriageable age. How old is she now?"

"Twenty."

"Oh? I thought her to be younger." Despite the time exclamation, there was no inflection in his voice.

"She is young in spirit, sir. That is what has led her to many troubles, I'm afraid," Mr Abbot said. Neither of them could see that she wasn't truly immature as they deemed, but simply as she should be. She had been protected for so long in a way that many girls were not allowed to be and thus she thought as someone of that age should- with curiosity and deepness, either for delight or for anger. Couldn't they see that the world was not supposed to be in grey?

"Then she would not be early to wedlock should she marry reasonably soon to a man...who would be able to offer her proper and strict guidance?" Mr Yeardley did not bother attempting to avoid insulting Mr Abbot's lack of control. He knew he had no need to show him excessive respect.

"I have thought to find a match for her myself for some time, but Tibby- Elizabeth- is still but a child in her mother's eyes and I shouldn't like to part them."

"But the security it would bring her is a far greater benefit than some childish attachment? And is it not written that man and wife shall become one, separated of any family before them?" Mr Yeardley said. The moment he mentioned scriptures, Mr Abbot had to abandon his resistance; what good did personal feeling do against the word of God?

Sensing his compliance, Mr Yeardley said, "I believe it is my Christian duty to take her for my wife and raise her to the light."

"Is marriage the only way you may do this?" Mr Abbot asked. He couldn't understand why Mr Yeardley, who lived within a halo, should want to weight himself with a wild creature whose tongue burned against words of gentle submission.