Chapter 20

"The accounts for the month, sir." Gideon hands Yeardley the stack of papers.

Yeardley takes them without looking up. "Thank you. Is that all?"

"Yes, sir," Gideon says, though as he steps away he hesitates from leaving. He lingers in the middle of the room, uncertain over whether he should speak of any innovation towards him. The governor is an easy man to anger, after all.

"What is it, Marlow?"

Yeardley is impatient with his hesitation. Even with this, Gideon is careful in setting forth his proposition. "Forgive me if this is in any way an imposition, sir," he begins. Yeardley sits back in his chair and looks up, tiring further from the wait. Therefore, Gideon pushes himself to hasten. "I assessed the tax revenue last week and it has been lessening since the escalation of the witch hunts. The majority of those executed are women with their own property with no one to inherit it, meaning their lands are languishing in the town's possession without being properly exploited."

"What do you suggest? We ease the witch hunts to ensure all property is taxable?" Yeardley says, almost spitting with the absurdity of such a notion.

"Of course not." Gideon would never be so reckless to propose such a thing to Yeardley. "Only, might I suggest we tenant the land?" He sees Yeardley lean forward in his chair, his interest sparked. This offers Gideon a confidence to continue. He moves closer to the desk and begins to show almost a keenness as he speaks. "To sell it would provide a temporary increase, but if we confiscate the property of all those accused and farm it out to others in return for rent, that will provide the council with a sustainable form of revenue."

"It is certainly a clever notion," Yeardley says. "Of course, the monetary value is secondary as if people were to know their property will be confiscated from even an accusation, then surely they will desist from engaging with the Devil?"

"Indeed, sir."

"Then I can trust you to write a report on what this would entail, ready to present it to the council by the end of the week?" Yeardley asks. His eagerness on the matter is a form of approval. Although he doesn't outwardly say it, he is impressed with this shrewdness.

Gideon has to suppress his smile until he is discharged from the room; it is one of disbelief. To be trusted with such a large task is not to be underrated, though he says nothing of it to Tibby when he gets home, instead resigning himself to his room and setting to work.  

The favour this shall earn him with Yeardley far outweighs the financial benefit. To be the one which streamlined the sources of revenue and lessened wastage would confirm the security of his position. Tibby doesn't understand this.

A day or so after his proposal, he returns home after work with the lightness of success still on his shoulders. Several of the votes were cashed via letters for a sickness has passed over the some. Still, Alderman Grant privately commended him that afternoon and Gideon is clever enough to understand the weight of this. All he must do now is implement his proposal well. Surely that cannot be too difficult now it has unanimous approval?

With his thoughts fully occupied by a formulating plan, he doesn't notice how Tibby doesn't greet him as she normally does. It isn't until he moves to step toward his room to continue working that he realises the house is far too quiet to what he is used to. His thoughts are moving too coherently for once!

"Elizabeth?" he calls out, standing half in the back room and half out. When he receives no reply, he assumes she must be flitting outside somewhere. It is close to dark so doubtless she will return soon enough. Just as he is about to close the door, Tibby comes in. Her face is darkened. "Where have you been?" he asks.