Chapter 25

"Will Gideon be joining us? I hear he's been very clever and should like to question him," Constance says.

They sit outside her home sewing clumsily whilst Leon leans against the side of the house, having just joined them from work. The late summer heat sticks at them heavily, though all three of them endure the burning and sit, red faced, in their heavy layers without a word of complaint.

"You mustn't question him when he comes, my love," Leon says, "I'm sure he has enough to contend with at work without further scrutiny here."

Constance and Tibby share a look. They always have to suppress their smiles whenever Leon speaks to Constance as there's something strange about someone thinking themselves more intelligent than her.

When Gideon comes, Constance ignores her husband completely. Without a word of greeting, she places down her embroidery and asks, "Mr Marlow, is it true you've persuaded Yeardley to change the weight of confession, so one's life is saved by confessing to witchcraft?"

As Gideon sits down, thankfully accepting a cup of water, he looks somewhat proud. As he explains to Constance that yes, indeed he has managed this feat, he adds that he also intends to pass an injunction against the use of torture in obtaining a confession. It is the most Constance has heard him speak; his voice is confident as he looks at her with an expectation of praise and a knowing that he seems to believe she does not possess.

"Urgh!" Tibby exclaims, sitting back in her chair.

"What is it?" Gideon asks.

"How smug you are!" she says, folding her arms and laughing at him. Constance hides her face from Leon as she smiles alongside her friend.

"There there, Tibby," says Constance with an easing voice, "He means no harm. You must let him enjoy his progress, slow as it is." She directs her gaze towards Gideon. "Is there no way to expedite the new laws?"

"I would need considerable more support first, which is not something easily garnered." His voice has become more level now and his features are softened from their original pride.

"You must convince the other men that it is in their interest to agree."

"Constance-" Leon tries to warn her from her interference. However, Gideon has been moved from his place of confidence and now engages in conversation with Constance.

"Indeed. My first thought was to imply several of the councilmen's family members are in danger of accusation- not to anyone else, of course, just them alone- so that they may be pliable before a vote," he says. Constance nods in approval. "But my wife..."

"-His wife didn't like the idea of using innocent people. Such accusations attach themselves to the person and stick," Tibby says.

"I quite agree. Why not simply leave Yeardley to himself? Only the guilty have anything to be concerned. God protects the innocent, after all," Leon says. Once again he is ignored, although he doesn't notice. He is far too concerned with pushing himself away from the glaring sun to concentrate on the conversation.

"Tibby, you mustn't be so naive. Risks must be taken to produce the desired result," Constance says. Gideon unfolds his hand in her direction to show his agreement with her over idealism, causing Tibby to pull a face at him. He smiles.

After they finish dinner, Constance finally ends her questioning. She turns instead to a quietness. She plays her part as the gracious hostess bidding farewell to her guests, all whilst wanting to hold onto Tibby as desperately as possible. She restrains herself from reaching out to her, instead pushing her hands behind her back and parting as they always do.