Chapter 6 - This Human Of Mine

I watched with satisfaction at how Lenna's face paled when I told her that I intended to punish her instead of Berengar

Good!

Let her be afraid!

My thoughts began to wander while I stared at the human before me.

Her defiant streak had not gone unnoticed. Even though I had no intentions of harming her, at least not yet, I needed to remind her of her place.

With my left hand, I grasped her chin, forcing her gaze to remain on me.

"You seem to forget to whom you speak, Lenna. Your words come out as you see fit. Because of your relationship with that werewolf, I suppose that you're unconsciously very relaxed within my presence. But make no mistake, my dear, I'm not Berengar. I will put you back in your place if you step out of line, do you understand?" I asked, my eyes searching hers while she boldly kept eye contact.

The colour of her light-brown cheeks reddened slightly as she slowly nodded her reply.

Leaning my face even closer, I whispered, "I cannot hear you..."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Of course, I did not miss the faint smoulder in her eyes when she answered. From her tone, I had no doubt that it irked her to say those words and she probably would have cursed my name if she knew that she would not have been punished for the offense.

It was hard to ignore that there was a certain rebelliousness about her.

I had observed it through the first words she had ever spoken to me. Her honesty in wanting to remain in her province had indeed taken me by surprise. Particularly since humans were always eager to serve the Lycans.

Not Lenna though.

She had wished to stay with her family, which I could understand. Even if I found her reasoning somewhat naïve, I was not a total monster.

After all, had she not looked in the mirror?

There was no way Lenna was ever going to remain in her region.

As I continued to scrutinize the contours of her face, I could not help but run my thumb over the smooth skin of her jaw. Realising what I was doing, I swiftly released my hold and watched as she leaned against the wall.

Letting out a deep breath, I narrowed my gaze at her one last time before I walked towards the window, leaving her to pack away her things.

She all but stomped back to her trunks and I found her subtle outburst amusing.

Lenna certainly had no qualms about letting me know how she felt without even saying a word. Though, when she did speak, it was to be noted that her obstinacy was also laced in the way she shamelessly asked questions about anything she was curious about.