Chapter 17 - Defiance

With my hand still firmly held in his, Edric walked me into the impressive stable grounds

A young Lycan, whose name I did not know, approached and bowed before us. In his right hand, he clutched a bitless bridle that belonged to the biggest horse I had ever seen. It was even larger than the ones that had pulled the carriage which had taken me from my home.

Edric took the leather reins and dismissed the young man, leaving us alone while we walked back outside towards the large open grassy field.

The horse was truly statuesque. Its muscular body was sleek as it gracefully trotted between us. My eyes were fixated on its beautiful golden coat.

Walking in leisurely circles around the gorgeous creature, I could not contain the wide smile on my face. Needing to get a closer look as I stood in front of the horse, I then took a diagonal step towards him.

I had a lot of experience in dealing with horses, but never with a breed such as this. My voice was low and soothing as I spoke to the animal, noticing his eyes were relaxed and his ears pricked towards me. With my right hand extended, the large horse closed the distance between us almost immediately.

"I knew that he would love you..." Edric commented in a soft tone.

Giving him a sideways glance, "Oh? What's that supposed to mean?"

Shrugging lightly, he simply replied, "Nothing, just that everyone who meets you seems to eventually fall in love with you."

Turning to look at Edric fully, our eyes locked as we remained in silence for a few seconds. We continued to stare at each other while the weight of his words hung between us. Not wanting to make things awkward by being overly emotional at the potential hidden meaning behind what he said, I chose my next words carefully.

"Yes well, I was told that I cast magic spells on people," I flashed him a grin.

Edric's face grimaced slightly, "Ouch! I guess I deserved that."

"Who knows, you might have been right," I said with a sigh.

Slowing the threading of my fingers against the animal's thick mane, I allowed myself to feel the calm yet robust energy that the horse exuded.

The sound of Edric's voice forced my eyes open, "So, I take it that you like your surprise?"

"This is the weapon?" I asked, while the horse nudged against my still palm, clearly wanting me to continue with the stroking of his coat.

Nodding, he replied, "Yes, don't you like him?"

"I love him! He's truly magnificent! It's just that when you said weapon, I was expecting a new sword or shield perhaps."

Edric laughed softly, "Weapons are more than just things to be used in battle, Lenna. Since you can't run like us Lycans, I wanted to present you with a means to do so, enabling you to keep up with us."