Chapter 3 - Edric The Grump

The gentle tapping of my boot against the stone floor reverberated off the walls as I stood in my study glaring at the painting in front of me

Crossing my arms over my broad chest, I slowly observed the large family painting. It was encased in an intricate dark wooden frame, hanging securely on the wall, and I often contemplated throwing it into the fire. 

The painting was of my father and mother, the late King and Queen. They sat in the front, while my older brother Einarr and myself stood proudly behind them. Next to my father stood our younger brother, Eginhard, and bundled up on my mother's lap was our youngest brother, Eckart.

As my eyes narrowed on the smile that adorned Einarr's face, it brought a sour taste to my mouth, causing me to grumble. To this day, I still could not understand why he killed our parents and betrayed our family seven years ago.

Before I could stop him, he had escaped beyond the Soljord Mountains, and I had been hunting him ever since.

Raising a hand to the left side of my face, my fingers slowly grazed along the jagged scars that ran from my hairline down to my jaw. A gift from Einarr, just before he had descended into complete madness.

The bright colours of the setting sun pulled my attention away and I walked towards the window by my desk.

The beauty of the sunset only added to my infuriation.

Since the gruesome death of my parents years ago, I felt that there could be, should be, no beauty in the world. Meanwhile, the insolent sky was illuminated in vivid colours of pink and purple, embellishing itself in dazzling splendour.

I glowered, wishing that I had the ability to just reach out and rip the mocking swirls of colour right out of the sky.

A sudden knock at the door pulled me from my dark thoughts.

The grey of my eyes darkened as I snarled and turned away from the window.

With a slight sniff in the air, I knew who it was, and I growled softly, not wanting to deal with the clingy female Lycan at the moment.

"Enter!" I barked out.

Beyza came in and closed the door behind her.

Running a hand through her long black hair, a small smirk played on her lips as she approached my desk. It was hard not to notice the blatantly loose ties on her top which were left open to purposefully display the swells of her breasts, and her light brown eyes sparkled with mischief as she eyed me.

"What do you want, Beyza?" I asked impatiently.

"I've missed your touch, my King," she said seductively, while walking around the desk to stand in front of me.

As she attempted to reach out to touch me, I swiftly grabbed her wrist in a bruising grip.

"What have I told you about knowing your place?" I rumbled.