Chapter 3 - Chats

Riya was taking a drink break from her gig a couple of nights later, when her phone buzzed with a notification from tinder. She looked and rolled her eyes - someone named Rahul had swiped right and matched with her. She obviously couldn't remember him, she at times swiped just for fun and didn't pay attention to the person much. She opened the app and looked at his profile. Oh yes! That guy! She remembered his dimples and scruffy hair. He wasn't the usual type she went for but he seemed cute enough. She opened the chat and waited, wondering if he would write first. When he didn't for awhile she sighed to herself and wrote a message.

Hi there, what's up?

She waited. She had done this tinder thing for awhile so she didn't expect him to reply - sometimes they just never responded. But then a sentence appeared in their chat.

Hello! Just resting after work. What about you?

Rahul rolled over in bed, staring intently at the chat. He had never done this before and it was a little exhilarating that she had responded. Did this mean she liked him? She replied.

I'm just out playing a gig near Royal Park. Do you want to catch up after?

This had caught him off guard. She wanted to meet already? Weren't they meant to chat for awhile and get to know each other before meeting? But he didn't want to reject her offer to meet and discourage her - however he didn't feel comfortable meeting her just yet.

I have a very early meeting tomorrow so how about we meet another day?

He waited, hoping he hadn't put her off.

Sure! How about tomorrow afternoon? What time do you get off work?

Riya locked her phone, not waiting for a response. Break time was over and she had to get back on stage. She didn't want to delay meeting this guy - she didn't want to form any sort of connection with him. She knew what she wanted out of this so she hoped she would agree to tomorrow.

After playing the remaining songs she had lined up, she gently placed her guitar back into its case. As usual her friends gathered around her, showing her with praise.

"Should we grab a drink?" Jay said helping Riya carry her guitar off the stage.

"Uhm weren't you drinking the entire time I was up there singing?" Riya joked - typical Jay, always up for one more.

"Yeaaa but we never get to drink with you anymore - Cos someone's a big star performing on stage now." He said nudging her a little.

"I'm a little tired today, maybe we can catch up for drinks tomorrow? I'm not performing."

"Sounds great" said Jay and Mark together, hugging Riya goodbye. Courtney also hugged her and the four friends parted ways.

As Riya walked to her car, she pulled out her phone and checked tinder. He had replied!

Sure, I finish work at 5pm - where did you want to meet?

She quickly replied - maybe she could get this "meeting" done before having drinks with her friends.

How about coffee at your place?

She wrote this and hesitated - had he done this before? Was she coming on too strong? She shrugged deciding that she didn't really care what he thought about her and sent the message.

Rahul was waiting for a response and he was surprised by the one he got. At his place? Was she serious?