Chapter 36 - Challenges

Handling the role of new parents surely wasn't a piece of cake, it came with a lot of struggles and challenges. However Rahul and Riya were handling it quite well, or at least to the fullest of their capabilities. They didn't want their lack of experience and or knowledge be the reason their little Isha would face any insufficiency, so they made sure she was cared for to the fullest at all times. Though they have to admit that they weren't fully alone, Rahul's mother had been secretly visited them and helping them out with their new job, even if both of the grandfathers had not come around yet. Rahul's mother told them to just give them some more time, because they'll eventually want to be involved in their granddaughters life. Riya was grateful she had someone with experience around her, she was visibly stressend and anxious, because she feared she'd be a miserable mother and fail at protecting and caring for her daughter. 

"Don't you have enough pics of Isha sleeping in your gallery already?" Riya giggled and shook her head in an amused way. She smiled at Rahul's behaviour. It was very sweet of him wanting to capture her every moment, it reassured Riya that Rahul was involved with all his heart and mind just like she was.

"No, I can never have too many pics of my princess!" Rahul exclaimed smiling while putting his phone away into his pocket. Riya smiled and continued to pick up a few things laying around in order to tidy up the place. In the midst of all this the doorbell rang. Riya gave a sign that she would go answer the door so Rahul wouldn't need to make any effort to go get it. Riya had no idea who it could be, she imagine a particular person, because the only person who would visit them was either Rahul's mother or Riya's friends. Since it was a rather odd hour neither of her guesses seemed to fit. She opened the door and stood there in shock, Riya did not expect the company they were about to have, honestly neither did she want to except this company as it was too unpleasant.

"Bree..?" Was all she could mumble.

"Hiiiii Riya! Omg hello Rahul, long time no see!" Bree made her way through the door into the living room almost slamming Riya into the wall. She rushed over and hugged Rahul tightly. Rahul gave Riya a confused look and all she could do in reply is grumpily close the door. Had Rahul invited her over without her knowledge? If so why hadn't he taken her in consideration? Riya was annoyed and a tad bit mad. Was Rahul in contact with Bree all this time? Riya took a deep breath before walking over to the pair.

"Bree, what are you doing here?" Rahul said while slowly letting go of her.

"I came as soon as I could after hearing about the beautiful news! Where's your babygirl? May I see her?" Bree smiled at Rahul. She had heard about this news in the office when she asked upon his absence. "By the way, here's a present I got her!" Bree added while handing over a gift bag to Rahul. Rahul carefully opened the gift bag and brought out the most beautiful little baby dress he had so far laid his eyes on.

"Thank you Bree, you really shouldn't have!" Rahul went a bit to his right revealing the crib Isha was laying in. "Here's our little princess, Isha" bree carefully went to the crib and looked at a peacefully sleeping Isha. "She's gorgeous Rahul!" She smiled while looking at Rahul. Rahul replied her warm smile and stood there thanking her. Riya was just watching the scenario happening in front of her, she felt sick to her stomach. She couldn't bare seeing Bree so close next to Rahul. Though she didn't want to admit she was afraid, very afraid of someone taking Rahul away from her. Despite not being involved with each other in any way Riya still grew quite fond of Rahul throughout all this time. Was she in love with him? She had no idea. She feared of getting intimate with someone, well not intimate, but definitely committing to someone. Riya didn't want to be left alone, so she never gave anyone the chance to even hurt her. Rahul was liking this side of Bree, he had no idea she was so enthusiastic about children. It brought out a soft side about her, which Rahul definitely could live with. For the rest of the afternoon Bree and Rahul were hanging out with Isha, sometimes laughing, sometimes smiling and whatever else they were doing. Halfway through all Riya had grown sick of the sight and excused herself to her room. She could not watch Bree flirting with Rahul and Rahul not minding. All she wanted to do was cry and scream. Riya didn't blame Rahul for not minding, after all they were not a couple and Rahul was in no way cheating on her, but why did it still hurt? Why did it feel like someone was ripping out her heart and cutting it into tiny pieces? It was her own fault for being too stubborn and cowardly to admit her feelings for Rahul. 

Riya stood up from her bed and made her way towards her  vanity where she sat in front of. She looked at herself with pity. Riya slowly cleaned her teary face while taking a few deep breaths. Riya sat there looking at herself trying to figure out who that person in front of her was. Riya had promised herself to never allow anyone to hurt her. She didn't want to feel as sad as she did after loosing her mother for any reason. The sadness she was feeling was so unlike her, she used to be tough and strong and give no damns about anyone or anything. How had she turned into this weak, soft, mushy and caring person? Riya didn't approve and like this new version of herself. "I have to stop caring, at least I won't be hurt this way.." Riya whispered to herself. She made a new promise to herself that evening, from now on she will turn back to her old ways. The old, cold and not caring her was never hurt and she also never fell in love with anyone! She had to forget whatever she was feeling for Rahul and cut herself free from her imaginations, because they would not turn true. From tomorrow on only her daughter mattered to her, Rahul could be involved with anyone he wants, she for sure did no longer care.