6

The stretching did nothing to chase away the tired feeling that followed me this morning. Thinking back on that night several years ago when Dad had announced the return of the full moon runs and the tale of our beginning begin told by Grandpa and Papa. A sad smile crept upon my face remembering how happy and excited we all were.

The years had been good and our training had forced us to grow in ways unimaginable on that happy night long ago. Heather was no longer in warrior training but had been selected to train with Healer Gro. Clar has been called to the Archives and now spends her days learning to read ancient texts and speak in forgotten tongues. Alastar had followed the path we all began and is in full warrior training. Sadly Sorley and Iasan were killed during a spring training run, bears have little patience for young wolves. They never even got to shift. Ewan and his mini-pack of idiots Knud and Gorm have all survived and flourished during these years, they still have huge egos feed by Seumas and his mini-pack who have let it be known to all that Ewan will make a great Alpha.

Today though none of that is on my mind for today we have visitors coming. Our pack Elders have invited Elders from packs all over the continent. They are coming to test the young wolves, but mainly me. We have been told to only speak in the language that is spoken to us and to answer every question, to follow each lead, and to be on our best behavior. I know there is more to this than I am being told but to hear Ewan, this is going to easier than skinning a rabbit. Nothing the Elders do is that easy but then again Ewan likes to sail through doing the bare minimum.

"Are ya ready", Dad hollers up to me in my cozy loft.

I really want to say 'NO' but instead holler back, "In a moment". Climbing down I am given the once over, several times by several wolves, by those gathered in the living room. "Well do I have dirt on my dress?"

"No, you look like an angel", Uncle Sten says smiling down at me. Two years ago he was nearly killed by a Crow warrior who attacked him with a poisoned arrow. Luckily for us, he was discovered by a Pawnee squaw who had escaped her Crow captors, she had been taken in a raid and was trying to return to her village. Instead, she found her mate and saved his life, returning with him to our pack. Morning Sunshine was perfect for him, she was quiet and reserved with a backbone of Birch. She made him toe the line and did it with a smile. She taught me so much about nature, plants, and how to not let the likes of Ewan beat me down.

She and the other females had helped me sew the dress I was wearing, it was of doeskin incredibly soft with beads along the neck and hem. The belt was a gift from Sorcha it was finely beaded with a wolf running towards the moon. I also wore bracelets that came from several of the pack females. The eagle feathers in my headband came from Atsadi, he said to remind me of my past and how high I had flown. My band came from Dad but decorated by the Elders, who had covered it with runes of blessing. I was so proud to wear the outfit, it showed off my family's love for me.

Before I was truly ready the time had come for me to go to the gathering. It was to be an informal affair with us moving from Elder to Elder and answering their questions and having general conversation. Tomorrow will be the real tests. For now, though we are shown off like prize cows. "Elder Ruiz so nice of you to join us", says Grandpa in Spanish shaking the hand of a small mustached male.

"So this is she", he replies in the same language, "from your description I would have thought her delicate but she is a solid wolf".

I could not help but preen in delight, I was about to say thank you when Seumas and Ewan butted in. "Elder Ruiz glad ya could make it", he said sticking his hand out. "This is my male, Ewan, he's going to be our next Alpha."

Ignoring Seumas' hand Elder Ruiz turned to Grandpa and says "Did you not inform the pack of the rules"?

At this point, Ewan breaks in with a mix of Spanish and Portagues "Elder forgive my dad he wants everyone to know the next Alpha". He is smiling and from his posture and attitude, you'd think he nailed it.