Part 19

"We must wake up. They need us to tell them how to defeat the coven, for Bellona will be coming for you. She used Frode to capture you. It is she who is behind the threat to our family and us." My wolf spoke to me waking me up with a jolt. I realized I had been selfish and lazy, instead of sleeping I should have been preparing my tribe for what was to come. As I moved Emily met me, "Sit and eat you need to be fully healed to take on Bellona."

"You know that she will die", I did not mince my words.

"The witch my mother knew is gone and this creature is too dangerous to let live. Just be careful you are one of us and we love you." She tells me, drawing me in for a hug.

Picking up my mug and bowl I finish my food and drink then move to leave. "What is our word today", I ask? The last time I had been stuck working in the gardens with her-- let's just say Oya doesn't like her hair messed with-- we began to create words and give them meanings.

"Opool", she said with a smile.

"Opool it is. Stay safe." With a smile, I left her to prepare.

The walk to Otetiani's gave me a chance to speak to my wolf about what was about to come. "They are here, I can feel their power."

"Do you know where they are"? I nodded to all I met but did not stop. Except for Ung, she had attempted to get me to go to the river with her.

"No, it is odd. Ung did not seem herself, did you notice that"?

"Has she been taken or is it a shift spell"? Now I was alarmed, would I have to kill my friends and family?

"I can only tell by scent."

Listening to my wolf I knew I had to scent each person to tell who was who and what was what.

"Otetiani, may I enter?" I called out.
"Of course my child, you are always welcome here." This was strange.

"Be careful, it smells odd" My wolf warned.

I was taking my wolf's advice as I slowly entered the lodge. It seemed darker and my eyes took longer to adjust to the lack of light. Sitting above the fire was Otetiani, Fawn, and several of his warriors. "Great one how may I serve you?" When I first came to this lodge to formally ask for Otetiani's permission to be trained I used these words. He had laughed at me and told me we were family and family is not that formal.

"Your words yesterday have been found to be a lie. You will be lashed until the truth falls from your lips". Otetiani stated while not moving. In fact, no one moved. This was getting odder and odder.

"I ask for a trial by combat to defend my honor", if anyone here was the true being this request should have been questioned.

"Agreed." With that, they all stood and began to move toward the rear of the lodge.

This was wrong. I had no idea who these beings were but they were not my family. Reaching out I found that most of the links had been blocked or felt dead, my heart began to race and I realized that I might be too late.

"Come here child", Otetiani's voice said from the rear of the lodge.

"I am entitled to prepare alone, I will meet you at the combat grounds." As this tribe had no combat grounds only training grounds I let them puzzle it out as I backed out of the lodge.

The cover had not stopped swinging when a warrior came out to follow me. Since this was expected, I had already moved to the side and around the back of the lodge. Again seeking a link I found Atsadi his link was still pure and solid, 'Are you safe', I asked. Fear leaking into the question.