14

All winter long the question of whether to move or stay divided the tribe. The pros and cons had been beaten to death by the time Otetiani called us to order for the final gathering on the matter. "After much discussion, speaking with the Elders, several Spirit walks, and much deliberation I have decided it is best for us to move our home."

The response was immediate, some sighed others were upset still others just stood there. "When do we leave?" "Where are we going?" "How do we get there?" "What do we take?" After the initial shock of the decision, the questions were fast and furious.

"Quiet now", Otetiani told the crowd. "A spot has been picked out and the tribe will be transported there. No packing required. This will take all of our power but together we can get this done quickly and easily. I will tell you an exact day when I have one." With that, he returned to his lodge.

Turning to Atsadi I was puzzled not to see him. Looking around I located him with a female, strange. Moving closer they stopped speaking and turned to me, "Greetings, I am Bo. This old cat's cub", I say playfully bumping his arm. The female looks stricken and Atsadi looks worried. "What did I say wrong", I ask scared I put my foot in it?

"Nothing, we were just talking", the female says smiling as if in pain. She then walks away. Atsadi stares longingly after her.

"Atsadi ...", I began.

"Bo, I am going to take a run. Back before dinner." He shifts and runs off before I can say anything else.

I headed back toward our den when I see the female at the edge of the wood crying. Making my decision I head in her direction. She sees me coming and attempts to wipe her eyes to get herself together. "I need to apologize to you. I might have given you the wrong impression of my relationship with Atsadi. Please come join me for dinner", I say as I gently take her arm and guide her toward my den. "I don't recall seeing you before, not to say I talk to everyone here all the time or even really look at those here", I knew I was rambling but I didn't want her to have a chance to turn me down or worse yet run-away. "Ah, here we are den sweet den," I say smiling at our cozy home. "Please just sit there and I'll check on the food", I squatted down next to the banked fire. Pulling back the ashes to reveal the cast iron pot, removing the lid to ensure there was no scorching or burning but no it was perfect. Moving the side of the ashes I pulled out a skillet, this was the biscuits, unfortunately, they were a little overdone on the bottom. "Well shoot", I exclaimed, "Now I owe Atsadi an otter pelt".

At my expression, the female began to smile, "Problems with your biscuits"?

"I can not get them right, dough in the middle while hardtack on the outside or they bounce or they are a killing stone or ...", I blabbed on.

"It's an easy fix", she said smiling at me finally sitting down. Not relaxed but not looking as if she would run off at any minute.

"Please I pray to the Goddess you can help it would be nice to enjoy my own biscuits without fear of eeewww", I laughed. "I am so rude. I drug you over here and did not offer you anything, would you like tea? I have fresh honey and chamomile." 'Please say yes', I thought and hoped.

"That would be lovely. Is there anything I could do to help", she said?

"Only one thing, your name would be great", I said sheepishly.

"Oh my, it seems I am the rude one", she says with a blush. "I'm Sarah Schmitt", she sticks out her hand for me to shake it.

Shaking hands is a very European thing and I had not been raised that way. Instead, I leaned in and brushed my cheek to her cheek. She lept back from me and began to blush and squawk, "Um, what was that? That's not how... Please don't..."