Chapter Two

I declined another call, sliding up on my phone putting it on Do Not Disturb.

The thirty minute meditation music for positive energy, healing, and balance played on my television in my bedroom, connected through Google Cast on YouTube. The scented Happiness candle brought the sweet smell of lavender, and spearmint all throughout my closed bedroom.

Meditation helped me get through my day, and in general helped me relax. I was often filled with random depressing thoughts, overwhelming situations, and in all honesty I stressed myself out with overthinking. It made my mood better, it was better for everyone around me to not have to deal with my bitchy, or silent behavior.

"Fuck you, you couldn't even be here for your children. Star is gone, you son of a bitch!" My mom screamed from down the hall in her bedroom. The walls are thin, and every word could clearly be heard no matter how low she spoke. I knew she wasn't trying to hide her words though, and it was clear she was talking to my father.

A heavy breath escaped my mouth, I hated being disturbed. It was so hard for me to even be in a state of peace, and it seemed like every time I was, I would be interrupted. Whether I was writing, meditating, or even attempting to masturbate, I could never fully be at peace.

My phone vibrated again, when I finally turned off the television giving up still hearing my mom yell throughout the apartment. I could even hear my brother, talking to some girl on the phone. I didn't need to go in his room to know he was doing what he always does when he finds another girl to be in the "cupcake" phase with.

He was in his room laying down on Facetime throwing up his "Spalding" basketball in the air, and twirling it with a big smile on his face, talking about all the nasty things they will do tomorrow.

Disgusting.

"Hello," the phone connected showing Wisdom's face.

"Girl, where you been? I kept calling?" She immediately questioned.

"Meditating." I could be myself with Wisdom, she knew how I was. We went to the same middle school, before her family moved to Mount Vernon. The short responses were vague, but she understood at times I didn't have much to say.

"I figured that or writing, how are you with everything?"

"I'm okay..." I honestly didn't know how I was, and although she was my closest friend I couldn't tell if she wanted the real answer. When people asked did they ask because it was the respectable thing to do, or because they actually cared.

Did she really want to hear ' I thought about killing myself earlier, and downing a bottle of Patron, because although I have people around me I always feel alone.' Did she want to hear the truth, or did she want the short version like everyone else.

She has her own problems, the short version is what everyone was going to get. "You?"

"I'm okay, I haven't seen you since the funeral. My friend got me two tickets to Diamond, I know you don't like these type of things but please come with meeeee," she begged pouting her lips. "Meghan Thee Stallion is going to be there, who else do you like?" She thought looking for ways to convince me. "Kassh Paige, Saucy Santana, DaBaby..." I thought for a second I wouldn't want her to go by herself, although she loves these type of things.

"No."

"Come on Ry! I went with you to that poetry night event a while back. I was bored as shit, but I still went-" she continued talking to herself as I stared out the window looking at the same spot Star was killed at.

"Damn, just say yes so she can shut the fuck up!" Micah yelled from his room banging on the wall.

Sighing I turned down the volume on my phone, as she rolled her eyes. "Aye, watch ya' mouth!" My mom spoke on his profanity.