Chapter Three

" I

myself am

made entirely of

flaws stitched together

with good

intentions."

I closed my notebook putting the short poem I had just wrote out of my thoughts for the rest of the day, with the book laying on my night stand.

Today was Sunday, and to take advantage of my day off I was going to go out running. To clear my mind of unnecessary thoughts, and most of the time I just needed to be by myself and run.

Run from situations

Run from the past

Run from the future and present

people.

Run from you.

Run from me.

Once I got outside my feet took control in my Nike all black sneakers. Many people thought running was a "white activity," that never made sense to me. I use to run track as a child, running was my thing. I stopped, but it was always apart of me.

I liked to observe while I ran. I loved seeing the pigeons on top of buildings and flying over me. I never understood why most people taunted and hated pigeons, they were the most present creatures in your life, if you ask me.

They're everywhere, on your window, flying with you watching you go about your day, if I'm being honest I talk to pigeons. In my head of course, apart of me feels like they can hear me. I wasn't trying to be Dr. Dolittle, but I believed in loving every creature. Except bugs, I was very afraid of them.

I noticed how the cart man, who sold bagels and coffee mostly never washed his hand in his truck, and from time to time would spit in people's drinks. How the dollar store, always watched African American kids more than they did anyone else, even with cameras in the store because they didn't think they could even afford something worth a dollar. I watched as Kayla, a girl from my school bought her third plan B pill this month.

I wondered if someone else watched me how I watched them.

After a thirty minute run, and a hour shower, I put on comfortable house attire not planning on going or doing nothing else today but relax.

My mom was at work and my brother was at basketball practice so I had the apartment to myself. I quickly whipped up some waffles, and bacon and ate watching my show Revenge on Hulu.

Wisdom began texting me apologizing for her absence towards the end of last night, and I honestly didn't want to be bothered. I was no longer mad, but I didn't want her to share my energy at the moment.

Biting my bottom lip, I stared at his contact in my phone debating on if I should text him. I paused my show, to concentrate better thinking of all the possible scenarios.

What if a girl answers back.

He could have just been being nice and doesn't want to be bothered for real.

He knew my window, is that code for he wants to take my virginity?

Just text him, if anything goes wrong no one will believe you communicated with him anyway.

What do I put? I need something to draw him in.

"Hm" I thought to myself never texting a boy a day in my life besides my family members.

                                                                                                                                             Hi. 11:00 a.m