Chapter 9: Stabbing in the Dark [Flashback]

WARNING: Contains violence! Read on your own risk.

Chapter 9: Stabbing in the Dark [Flashback]

Time Skip: One year later

New Orleans, Louisiana (Your P.O.V.)

„You're late." My co-worker greeted me with a smirk.
„Crap, I know. I forgot the time." I answered with the last breath that was left in my lungs.
Olivia shrugged her shoulders. „It's not like we're not used to it." She laughed. „But you need to hurry, the show is beginning soon."
„Yeah, see ya later." I rushed to a locker room where the dancers changed their outfits.
„Late again, huh?" I heard Kelly and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She was doing her eyelahes.
„Urgh, yes... I really need to get rid of this habit. I'm not even studying anymore, so I don't have any excuses." I sighed.

Yep, I gave on up my studies. After working in the club as a waitress first, my boss noticed my dancing skills(after he caught me practicing on the stage when I thought I was alone...)and he 'promoted' me as a Burlesque dancer. A dream came true and I got a mentor, Kelly, to improve my skills from day to day. Plus we got a Jazz Night once in the week where I've got the opportunity to sing in front of the audience. I felt like a entertainer and I couldn't be happier. People loved our Burlesque shows and the club was almost always sold out. You could say, we were one of the popularest club in New Orleans and even tourists from other cities and even foreign countries came to see us.

Since I earned enough money and I didn't need to pay any fees, except my rent, I was able to buy better furniture and a phone to call my family. I stayed in a close contact with Annie, sometimes I also spoke with my parents and my younger sister. But Shannons and my relationship wasn't as close as earlier. I thought she was still mad at me.

But one thing didn't changed: My love life. There was no man I was interested in and Marjorie called me 'hopeless' or I had 'too high standards'. To be honest, I began to ignore her comments. My career was going well, I was independent... what could I get more? Maybe it just wasn't the right time for a boyfriend. I didn't care...

„(y/n), can you help?" Kelly walked to me and showed me her back. I helped her with lacing up the corset and everything what was difficult to do it by herself. In exchange, she helped me with my outfit. We then rushed to the stage, perfect at time because another dancer just left it.

„Don't get burned, ladies. Thanks to me, it's hot outside there." Our co-worker giggled when she crossed our way but I just raised an eyebrow.
„That's no accomplishment you can be very proud of. We're gonna make it even hotter." I said. Gosh, it was her job! What did she think?
Kelly saw me frowning and laid her hand on my shoulder.
„Ignore her. You know how she is." She calmed me down.
„You're right. I have no time to get irritate." I sighed.

It was show time now.

___________________

It was in the middle of night when I was about to leave the club.

„Hey (y/n), I can drive you home." My boss offered with a concerned face.
The current situation: New Orleans kinda lived in fear. The murderings had begun again. Before I moved to the town, there was a row of serial murders but the police didn't caught the killer yet. And about a half year ago, the killer seemed to be back. The dead body of a woman was found in the canal. Fifteen people died until now, most of them were young women and since the last days it became even worse.

„You don't have to, Abraham." I assured him that I was fine. „If this fucker tries to kill me, I'll blow him to bits."
Abraham laid his hands on my shoulders and stared into my eyes. „Please take care of yourself, (y/n). It's really dangerous at moment. The police warned that espically women in your age are perfect victims for the killer." I was grateful he was so worried about me.
„I promise, but I will be safe. You see, I'm still standing in front of you. Awake and Alive." I laughed. „See you tomorrow." I waved a Goodbye to everybody before I walked out of my work place and made my way home.