Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Sleeping Beauty

I was too invested in writing a new story that I didn't notice the time. My head hurt and I was tempted to stay at home if it weren't for a quiz in one of my subjects today.

Around lunch, I went to the library to sleep and fortunately, my favorite spot was vacant. I pulled some books from the shelves and placed it on my table so that it looked like I just fell asleep while reading them.

I was about to sleep when my phone vibrated. Several notifications from the portal popped up and I realized today was the release of the results for the qualifying exam. Most of the newest articles were about it. I opened one, which was focused on our batch, and as expected, all of them passed in their respective choices of special courses.

Yna: Hey Steff, Jess! Congrats!

Jess: ???

Yna: Qualifying exams results are already out lol

Jess: Mas mataas ba ako kay Pat?!

Steff: Sinong mas mataas sa amin ni Darryl?

Alice: Hahaha may deal na naman ba kayo?

Steff: Haha yup

Jess: Yabang kasi niya eh

Yna: Darryl > Jess > Steff > Patrick

Steff: Huhu

Jess: HAH YES

Yna: Alice, Kevin also passed

Yna: just in case you wanna know lol

Alice: Luh

He passed the exams, too. I wanted to congratulate him but I wasn't sure if we were close enough for that. I rested my head on the table after deciding not to. My eyelids were gradually getting heavy and I drifted to sleep.

***

I was woken up by a heavy thud. Lifting my head and turning around, I saw a book that was accidentally dropped by a student on the floor while pulling it off from the shelf.

"Oh. You're awake."

Hearing that familiar voice almost made me flinch. When I looked right across me, I saw Gisel who was busy reading a book. I just stared at him for a few seconds, wondering if I was still asleep and this was part of a dream, or maybe this was real and I just couldn't believe he was really here.

He suddenly glanced at me as he placed his finger across his lips, gesturing me to stay quiet.

"Sorry, this was the only place here where I could read comfortably," he said in whispers.

"Oh."

He was reading a reference book on Statistics and I frowned upon seeing that. Anything related to mathematics would never be a good view for me.

I heard him chuckle, his eyes disappeared into squints as he smiled. He slowly leaned toward me and I had to pull myself back because he was too close.

"Kumusta ang Aral Pil mo?" he whispered.

"Uhm . . . ayos lang," I replied as calmly as possible.

"Hmm. May readings kayo?"

"Yeah. Pero hindi ako pa nakakapag-print."

Was my sentence right? Oh, well, nevermind.

"Ah. Congrats pala," I said in a small voice and he looked confused. God, I shouldn't have said that.