Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Dress Like a Princess

It's D-day.

There were no classes today, and it was just 8:30 A.M., but the campus was already filled with people. They released the theme a few days ago and a lot of students was already looking forward to what the Fair would look like later.

Steff and Jess were probably at the backstage, getting ready for stage rehearsals. Alice, on the other hand, decided to just stay at home since Kevin would escort her later.

I took a picture of the green field, amazed at how it drastically changed from its previous look. It felt like I was in a royal garden just outside of a palace. Trees, bushes and flowers were cleanly shaped, trimmed, and arranged; stone paths were set out, creating routes to different areas of the field; stalls with majestic designs and layouts; and the eye-catching, immense stage that looked like the interior of a castle with its marble floor, elaborate ornaments, fancy staircase and regal chairs.

The theme was kind of "big deal" this year so almost all students were preparing seriously. Well, not me. I wasn't fond of extravagant setting and dressing up like royalties would pull you into the spotlight.

I could hear some students talking about their boyfriends and girlfriends, and I'd surely be surrounded by couples later. I'm sure Alice would be with Kevin later so I guess I'd be left alone.

After checking the open field, I went to one of my sanctuaries—behind the Arts and Letters building. Most of the students were preparing for later and those who were in the campus were roaming around the open field so this place was empty, and I liked that.

My phone vibrated and I grunted after seeing my brother's message.

Where are you? I want to see you in your dress. Lol

Mom was excited about the event and she bought at least three dresses that she would like me to try on. When he heard about it a couple of days ago, he went straight to our house just to taunt me after what I did to him last time.

I opened our group chat after several days and there were already 234 unread messages. They were talking about how it would be a busy week since a lot of articles would be about new and old campus couples, especially those involving the Campus Princes and Princesses. I remembered how chaotic it was when Steff and Darryl's relationship became the hottest news on the portal before. Fortunately, most of the articles were positive but I felt bad when some of the negative ones still got published.

The number of articles we need to review had been giving me stress and anxiety for the past few days. I closed the chat box and exited the portal. I'd just think about it tomorrow. For now, I want some peace of mind.

***

The cold, gentle wind brushed my skin and made my body tingle. My eyes fluttered open and I realized I just fell asleep. I still felt groggy, but I inhaled sharply when I hear someone humming softly and someone's lower body in my line of sight. I sat bolt upright, realizing I was leaning on someone.

"S-sorry! I . . . I didn't—"

"Oh. Gising ka na pala."

Stealing a glance at my left, I saw Gisel who was wearing my cap again, and munching on some snacks. He flashed a gentle smile, his eyes disappearing into squints.

"Hindi ko akalaing natutulog ka rin dito," he said.

"Ah. N-no . . . I just . . . I didn't know I fell asleep," I mumbled, still embarrassed about what just happened.