Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Serious Trouble

"Hala siya, ngiting-ngiti," Jess commented while looking at Alice who was failing miserably to control her smiles.

I chuckled. "Kilig siya."

They abruptly turned their heads in my direction, their eyes twinkling.

"Mag-Filipino ka nga nang madalas," Jess retorted. "Mas bagay sa'yo, promise!"

"Oo nga, Yna." She clapped her hands which surprised me. "Okay, game!"

"H-huh?"

"Bawal ka magsalita ng English words starting today," Alice suddenly challenged.

"Ehh?"

"Game!" joined Jess.

Before I could protest, they started talking in Filipino, even using words I didn't hear before, and I wasn't sure if they were real words or they were just making fun of me.

"Anong ginagawa n'yo?"

Steff sat beside me and placed a slice of chocolate cake, that must be from her favorite pastry shop, in front of her. Alice and Jess explained what was going on in Filipino and Steff looked interested.

"Heh. Okay, sali ako," she said.

Alice snickered. "Mukhang lalong mahihirapan ang binibini," she said as she glanced at my direction with a smirk on her face.

"Tila hindi na niya mawari ang ating winiwika," Jess added.

I couldn't even understand what she was saying but it sounded bad. They continued poking fun at me until the topic shifted back to Alice and Kevin. Thank god.

Speaking of the devil, I saw him walking toward our direction with his cousin Patrick, but Alice and Jess didn't have any idea as they were on the opposite side. Several minutes later, they greeted us and sat beside their girlfriends. Darryl came, too, and that moment, I felt like I was the outsider.

They were still reminiscing what happened during Feb Fair and how Kevin stole the spotlight. Alice blushed and Jess started teasing her.

I flashed a quick smile while looking at them and the uneasiness I felt a while ago started dissipating. This was what I wanted to see. The three of them looked happy and that was enough for me.

"Uy, pero ang dami n'yong articles sa portal, ha?" Jess commented as she scrolled her phone's screen.

Kevin grunted. I still don't get it. Lahat na lang ginawan ng istorya."

"Well, that's the point of that website," said Steff, "but the malicious and toxic articles and comments irk me."

"Besides, we're considered public figure," Patrick added. "Kaso 'yong iba, wala nang respeto sa privacy."

Talking about the portal made me tensed and uncomfortable. I kept nodding despite the nervousness creeping through my throat. My heart grew heavier as they complained about the contents of the portal. I wondered how they would think and feel about me when they learned that I was one of the administrators.

"Imagine, even Gisel wasn't spared," Kevin remarked.

Hearing his name brought back some pleasant memories but immediately turned into misery when Kevin said Gisel got pissed about the articles written about him.

"But I'm kinda curious about his Sleeping Beauty," Patrick chimed in and Darryl chuckled.

"Yeah," he said. "He seems protective of her."