Chapter 1: It was supposed to be a normal day at school

I was running away from something I didn't know. Every step I took, darkness swarmed over me like a cloud. I was at my school: Barkly Highway State School, and I was running for my life... but what was I running away from?! The question kept on running through my head like a film.

I tripped over a stump. Pain surged through my foot, but I didn't care, I needed to keep running from whatever was chasing after me. I stood up and continued sprinting, with a bit of a limp this time. I could feel the thing getting closer to me.

I found myself running towards the junior toilets. There were the boys' on the far left; the girls' on the far right and the male staff toilet was in the middle. Lastly, there was an extra door that I never knew existed. I ran for that one, for the fact that whatever I'm running from won't expect me to be there. I opened the door, ran inside, closed the door and locked it. Finally I slid to the ground. I could rest for a little while now.

I was panting. Sweat was rolling down my face and my legs ached all over. After a minute, I opened my eyes and slowly stood back up. I walked around the corner. What I saw were two sinks running along the right side of the wall with mirrors on top of them, and on the left were two cubicles running across.

I shuffled across to the sink closest to me, turned on the tap and washed my face, hoping that it would help me wake up from this weird dream. Or was it a nightmare? I thought. I couldn't tell what I was in. When I opened my eyes, I was still in the strange toilet room that I never knew existed!

I stared at my reflection. I looked filthy, even though I only tripped over once. From the bottom of my chin I was bleeding... but how? That fall couldn't have done that much damage.

CRRK! I jumped a mile as the centre of the mirror made a crack all of a sudden, and it didn't stop there. The crack made its way around the mirror, making something like a swirl. A big shard fell off from the bottom right corner and landed on the ground with a little chink. A bit chipped off the corner, making the shard even sharper than before.

I ignored it and looked back in the mirror. This time I wasn't alone. There was a girl around my age standing behind me. In her hand was the mirror shard that fell to the ground. I stood still, too shocked to move. Maybe if I didn't move, the girl would go away and never come back here again.

She's no T-Rex you idiot! I thought harshly. If you stand still she can still see that you are there.

She stared at me creepily and cheekily (with her very pale face, black eyes and black, swaying hair, it gave it that extra creepiness. Goose bumps ran up and down my arms and legs), as if she was planning on doing something with this mirror piece.

"No..." I cried, knowing what dirty thing she was going to do with the mirror piece. "Please... don't..."

In one swift movement, the girl slid the mirror piece to the right side of my neck. I felt no pain at all... is this how people feel when they get stabbed? The girl slowly moved the mirror across my throat. Blood spurted out and splashed all over the mirror and across to a part of the wall beside it.

The girl got her mouth up to my ear and whispered hoarsely, "Kristen... wake up..."

Everything around me faded and all that was before my eyes was a creamy coloured wall with a Big Bang Theory poster stuck onto it.

"Kristen, get up already!" yelled Mum, shrugging my shoulders frustratingly.

"Okay, okay, I'm getting up now!" I groaned.