Chapter 7: The Big and Unexpected Storm

I went to school the next morning. Like I said to Mum last night, I just couldn't lie around all day; it would make me feel more depressed instead of being fixed – despite what happened yesterday.

Mum was trying her best to convince me to stay home, but I stood my ground and said no. Eventually she gave up with a long sigh and woke up my two younger brothers.

I sat around for most of the time, waiting for Gerald and Liam to get up and get ready for school. What got me angry was the fact that Liam had to randomly go to the toilet to take a crap. He seems to take hours in there and do nothing!

After five minutes, even Mum started to get sick of it. "Liam, hurry up, you'll make your two other siblings late for school!" she yelled.

I could hear the toilet flush and Liam came stumbling out, still in the middle of pulling up his school pants.

"Are we ready to go now?" Mum asked.

"Yes," Liam whimpered. "Sorry that I took so long." He looked down on the ground, looking ashamed.

"It's okay," Mum replied. She walked up to my little brother and gave him a hug to make him feel better. By the look on his face, he was feeling better.

"Alrighty then," Mum announced. "Let's get going."

She gave us our lunches and we walked out of the house. I walked out of the door and locked it. Liam, Gerald and I made our way up to the park, and Mum got into the car and drove past us. She blew us a kiss through the window and we returned the favour.

Of course, I bumped into Hortensia at the park. She stopped at the sound of my footsteps and turned around. Suddenly her expressionless face turned to sadness.

"What's wrong?" I asked, shocked by her sudden mood change.

"Shane told me what happened yesterday," she sighed. She looked down at the ground, waiting for me to reply.

I stopped suddenly at Hortensia's response. "What part did he tell you?" I asked, although I already knew what the answer was anyway.

"Everything, from when he saw you screaming to the hanging boy in the toilets," Hortensia explained. She walked up to me and we hugged.

"I'm so sorry that you had to see all of that," she said.

I patted her back. My eyes started to get teary. "It's okay, I knew you were a bit desperate yesterday to find out," I assured.

"But I feel so stupid for asking you what happened!" Hortensia argued back. I didn't bother fighting back. All I said was, "Okay, I understand."

We were silent. When Hort and I got to the school gates, I asked, "Is your mum still taking us to the movies today to see what's on tomorrow?"

"Yeah she is," Hortensia nodded. "Hopefully it will take our mind off things."

I nodded to show that I agreed.

It was five minutes until the school bell rang. By then, thick clouds suddenly covered the town like a winter blanket.

"The news didn't say we were in for a storm today!" Shane exclaimed beside me.

I jumped out of my skin. I was walking to class with Hortensia and all of a sudden Shane pops up. I went along with him anyway and acted as if I wasn't impressed at all that he was walking with me.

"Yeah it is pretty weird aye," I laughed uncomfortably.

Shane nodded. "How are you feeling?" he asked.