Chapter 5: Dean Lucille

By the end of the school day, I walked all the way home with a smile from ear to ear.

"What are you so happy about little miss?" Mum asked as soon as I set foot into the house. Usually when I'm that happy, Mum laughs at me. She says that I look so ugly it's – in a way – cute, which is probably true. I've never actually had a chance to look at myself when I'm that happy.

"Well," I breathed quickly, "one of my arch enemies have been expelled from school today."

Mum looked a bit shocked. "Well that's a bit unexpected. Is it that TJ kid you talk about sometimes, the one that you and Hortensia have a problem with?" she asked.

I nodded excitedly. Mum's shocked look turned back to happiness as she saw my ugly smile.

"Well, what happened?" Mum asked with anticipation.

Usually – as far as I know – other mothers would ground their children for doing something like what I've been involved in. But knowing my Mum, she will laugh with me and give me a treat as a celebration for defending myself and others around me. Rarely, Mum would let me have a special day for defending someone else.

The only other time I stood up for myself – actually now that I think about it, it wasn't for defence, it was to shut someone up – was back in third grade. Shane Menders wouldn't shut up about how stupid women were, so I just punched him in the mouth so he could stop talking!

After that day, Shane and I remained strangers. Even if we were put together to do group work, we manage to not talk to each other. The only communication we have now is eye contact that lasts for about a second. After that, we act as if we don't know each other.

I told Mum everything that happened today, word for word. She was leaning in, listening on today's exciting news. At the end, Mum was laughing her head off. That proved that I wasn't going to be grounded or be in any sort of trouble.

"I'm proud of you darling," she sighed. "I would go down town to get you a treat, but I'm busy at the moment, so can you wait until tomorrow?"

I nodded. "What are you doing that is so busy?" I asked.

"Well, I'm not actually busy, but I've just made a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm waiting for them to call me back so they can tell me what time I can go," Mum explained.

"Why do you have a doctor's appointment?" I questioned.

"It's just a monthly check up to see if I have caught any diseases and stuff like that. You know that," Mum replied.

"Actually I never knew. You must have them during while Gerald, Liam and I am at school," I shot back.

"Well, I have monthly check-ups," Mum said in a matter-of-fact voice.

I just nodded, not knowing why Mum would hide the fact that she has monthly check-ups. I decided to ignore it, and then I remembered what Hortensia was planning this weekend.

"Hey Mum," I called.

She turned around from the kitchen sink. "Mmm?" she said.

"Instead of a treat, can I go to the movies this weekend to celebrate Hortensia's birthday?" I asked.

"Oh right it's your best friend's birthday this weekend," she said. Mum thought for a few moments, and then concluded, "We'll count that as a birthday, not a treat. I'll still get you a snack tomorrow, okay?"

I have never been happier: it was as if it was my birthday! Unknowingly, I pulled my ugly grin again. Mum started to crack up. She pointed at me and couldn't say anything.