Chapter 6: A second dream

By the end of the façade that happened at the senior boys' toilets, Mrs. Wrench called up Mum and Mrs. Menders and asked them to pick Shane and me up. She reckons that we should go home and take the time we need to feel better about what happened.

We both waited in the trophy room, sitting on a small, uncomfortable, velvet couch together. I was still sobbing away and Shane was wiping his eyes every three seconds. We looked everywhere else, except at each other.

Mum walked in; along with Mrs. Mender five minutes after Mrs. Wrench ended the phone call. The police came around as well. I hoped that they weren't going to question me or anything like that. I couldn't think of doing that. What made matters even worse was watching Mrs. Lucile find out about what happened to her son. As Mr. Cepner told her, she fell to the ground, screaming, crying and thrashing her arms around. Mr. Cepner drove her home. As that happened, I could see that the rest of the school was clueless. I was glad about that though.

I got into the car, still bawling my eyes out. I didn't look at Shane as he got into his, but I could feel his eyes on me.

As soon as I sat in the front seat, Mum grabbed hold of me. She was sniffling.

"Mrs. Wrench told me what you saw today," she explained. "I don't know what to say, you're so young and you've seen that."

I hugged Mum back. "Thank-you," was all I could manage to say before I started to cry again.

"You're welcome," Mum replied. "What are you going to do when you get home?"

"I'd like that treat to ease my pain if that's alright?" I asked.

"Good idea. What do you want, you can get whatever you like," Mum replied.

"A Bueno bar please," I sniffled.

"Do you want anything else after that?" Mum questioned.

I shook my head. "All I do after I have the chocolate bar is to lie down with a movie going on if that's okay?" I said.

Mum nodded, showing her understanding. She started up the car and drove off.

Suddenly there was a loud screech and Mum made an abrupt stop on the brakes. I flung forward, nearly hitting my head up against the dashboard.

"What the Hell just happened?!" I cried.

As my answer, Shane's mum drove in front of us. Mrs. Menders wound down her window and yelled out, "I'm so sorry!"

Mum just flicked her hand and Mrs. Menders drove off without another word. She started up the car again and we made our way home.

When we got there, Mum said I could lie down in her room while she goes to the shops to buy me the Bueno.

"Thanks again," I moaned as I walked into the house. Mum made a grim smile and drove off again.

I opened the door that I forgot to lock before I left for school. I walked into the lounge room and picked out any random DVD I could get my hands on. Then I walked down the hallway and into Mum's room. The refrigerated air conditioner was still running and coldness swept over me. I felt a bit better.

I put the DVD on and snuggled underneath the covers.

Five minutes later, Mum came home with two packets of the Bueno bars.

"You didn't have to," I exclaimed.

"I would buy the whole store for you if it means that it would make you feel better," Mum reassured.