Chapter 14: Graduation

Of course, like Mum said, I stayed home for Thursday and Friday. Nothing bad happened and I had no dreams about talking to Marian, and I seemed to have gotten a lot closer to my family than usually.

Mum still let Gerald and Liam go to school, and the best thing was: they don't whine about it, they don't seem to care actually.

The down side was, with Mum's new job and I'm all on my own with no credit on my phone to call or text anyone, it gets boring to be at home. Not even movies occupied my time anymore! All I did was sit on the couch and stare at a wall, feeling like a patient in a mental asylum.

Fortunately, at the end of Friday, Mum had her first pay which was around six hundred dollars and bought me fifty dollars' worth of credit. The first thing I did as soon as I said thanks to Mum and redeemed the voucher was call up Hortensia.

I felt like I was away from civilisation, as if I was shoved into a room with nothing to do for a very long time and nearly went crazy. As Hortensia picked up the phone, I started to feel sane again.

"Hello?" Hortensia said on the phone.

"Hey," I smiled. "How have you been?"

"Holy crap Kristen, where have you been for the past couple of days?" Hortensia exclaimed.

I laughed at her sudden outburst. "I haven't been feeling well. But I promise I'll be going to Graduation tomorrow. Are you?" I asked.

"Mmm-hmm," Hortensia replied. "Shane keeps on asking if I have heard from you or not."

I blushed a little bit. "What does he ask?" I said.

"He keeps saying, 'Have you heard from Kristen?', 'Is she okay?', 'She hasn't died has she?'. And it's starting to really bug me and Denver. I know what's going on between you two by the way." I could hear the smile in Hort's voice.

I smacked my hand up against my forehead. "Who told you?" I cried.

"Shane himself. That was the first thing he told me as soon as he set foot into the school grounds, he just called out to me, 'Kristen and I are going out.'" Hortensia explained.

I shook my head and laughed. "And he was so ashamed when Denver was nearly yelling at the top of his lungs about us dating," I said.

Hortensia snickered. "So is there any other reason you called?" she asked.

"No," I replied. "I just needed to talk to a friend. I haven't talked to anyone besides my family for the past two days."

"It's good to hear from you anyway. I have missed you, and so has Shane," Hortensia replied. "I best get going, there are a few things I need to do before Graduation tomorrow."

"Well I'll see you tomorrow," I replied. "Have a good sleep."

Hortensia didn't reply back. All I could hear from the other side of the phone was the constant beeping sound, indicating that she hung up.

I pressed the 'End Call' button on the screen and placed my iPhone on my bedside table. I wanted to go to sleep so I could be refreshed for tomorrow, but I wasn't tired and I wanted to watch a few movies with my family. But Gerald and Liam were playing a card game in their bedroom and Mum was talking on her own phone. I decided to read a book that I already read.

In the end, I didn't go to bed until around three o'clock in the morning. I woke up at around twelve, refreshed and sweating everywhere. Summer was finally warming up the town.