Chapter 13: Story from the past

I still had those answers going through my head... you tried so hard to forget about it. It took a while for the trauma to set in and you blocked the memory out.

I was shocked of course; who wouldn't be after hearing what I heard?

After Mum's story, Mum and I started to get along well again. It was as if the slap never happened and Mum never told me the story, but the only thing that proved Mum did tell she did was thanks to the things she said going through my head.

I sometimes sat with Mum on the couch and talked few an hour, and then when we got sick of it, I played around with Gerald and Liam, who looked so happy that I was socialising with them. I had fun, playing around with Lego and having imaginary battles with our creations.

Finally the sun sunk underneath the horizon and Mum served us dinner. As a celebration for her getting a job, she ordered pizza and bought a whole bunch of movies for us to watch tonight.

The cheese pizza was delicious and Mum had good taste in movies. Some were sad, others made me cry of laughter.

It was midnight when I decided to go to sleep. Mum followed me to my room to tuck me in. I slipped under the covers and looked up into Mum's smooth face.

"I don't care what you say to me now, you're staying home for the rest of the week," Mum demanded.

"Why?" I asked. I wasn't protesting or whining, I was curious to find out what Mum's excuse was.

"Well, you just need a rest after what you have been told today. I would've been grief-stricken if I was in your position," Mum replied.

"I guess I am a little happy to figure out all of the questions that have been stuck in my head for a while," I replied. "But now I feel weird and scared as well."

"Well, when you have overcome those emotions, then I'll let you go to school," Mum replied with a smile. She kissed me on the forehead, and then walked out of my bedroom.

When she got to the threshold, I called out, "Hey Mum."

Mum turned around. "What is it?" she asked.

"Can you at least let me go to Graduation this Saturday? It goes from six-thirty to nine-thirty," I explained. Mum nodded, and then switched off the bedroom light at the same time.

I stared at the ceiling for a bit, thinking about Marian now. All she wanted was to watch Mrs. Lucile and Gregory suffer a painful death.

I thought about Caleb as well. My first thought was that it was definitely Gregory who killed him. But where's the proof? Nothing in Marian's diary proved that they were murderers, but it did tell that Mrs. Lucile was a child abuser –

My eyes started to feel droopy. I shut my eyes and was plunged into darkness...

I didn't remember when I got into the secret bathroom, it just suddenly appeared, but then it felt like I was already there since I shut my eyes.

In the mirror where there was the missing mirror piece was Marian, looking somewhat horrified.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You're... in terrible danger," Marian exclaimed. I jumped at her sudden outburst.

"What the Hell are you going on about?" I cried. "How am I in danger?"

Marian didn't answer me. She was muttering under her breath. After a minute she slapped her forehead and groaned in frustration.

"WHAT'S WRONG?!" I bellowed.