Chapter 10: Marian's Diary

Hortensia and I walked to Hortensia's house. Mrs. Mayfield wasn't home and Mr. Mayfield had to go to Brisbane for work or something: Hort never actually tells me the full story.

"When will your mum be home?" I asked.

My best friend shrugged. "Dunno," she said. "Whenever she is out she doesn't usually come back until school is over, maybe even later than that."

"Where would she go if she's out for that long?" I questioned.

"Out with friends, sitting at a restaurant, talking to dad on the phone, there could be a few reasonable places she could go," Hortensia replied.

I nodded, and then we started to walk towards Hortensia's room.

Hortensia's place is a bit of a mess, I must admit. All of the clothes have been thrown around the house.

"We're having a clean out," Hortensia said as she saw the look of disgust on my face, "because mum and dad have saved enough money for us to go overseas, so we've started to pack, and at the same time we're throwing out the clothes we don't need."

I nodded, showing that I understood. "Sorry for being judgemental," I apologised.

"Don't be," my best friend replied. "I sort of look the same way when I enter this house."

By then we were in Hort's bedroom. It was a lot different since the last time I was there. I actually forgot what it looked like.

Now there was a bed beside the window, a computer desk beside the bed, and then a cupboard beside the computer desk. At the foot of the bed was a DVD cabinet with a small, flat screen TV on top of it. This was the only room – by far – that was the cleanest.

"What do you want to do?" Hortensia asked.

"Your house, you pick," I shrugged.

Hortensia sighed. "I don't want to do anything," she said.

"You're full of it," I laughed. "Come on. What do you want to do?" I gave her a slight tap on the arm.

Hortensia started to go into deep thought. "Now that I think about, all I want to do is lie back and watch a DVD or two," she finally said.

"Well lie on your bed and pick a movie," I smiled.

Hortensia picked out a movie from the DVD cabinet and put it in the player. Then we laid back and watched the DVD.

At two o'clock we turned everything off and made our way back to school. AS Hort and I walked, we looked everywhere except at each other. We couldn't strike up a conversation for some reason. Today was just too much for us to handle.

I still couldn't get over the fact that Mr. and Mrs. Lucile could be related to me. What was even scarier was that Marian was probably my sister.

By the time we made it to the front gates of the school, school was finished five minutes ago. Shane was already waiting at the front with our school bags by his feet.

"How'd it go?" I asked.

"How did what go?" Shane replied.

"Getting our bags?" Hortensia took my question.

"Oh that. Got caught by a girl, but she said nothing," Shane said. His face turned bright red at the thought of it.

Hort and I giggled. "Sorry you had to do that for us," I said.