Chapter 8

"Evan, what was so important that I had to come all the way out here?" I asked as I walked into the meeting room. They had a meeting going on but it had started before I had even left my pack.

"King Torin, thank you for coming on such short notice.  We are unfortunate enough to be having a rouge problem at the East border. We lost fifty men and several of our women and children have been kidnapped, including my beta's youngest girl, Mallory. That is why he isn't here right now." Evan explained.

"And why did you call me all the way here to deal with it?" I was just a tad bit annoyed. He pulled me away from my mate and he has yet to give me a good reason for doing it.

"Well, you see, Your Majesty, they are banding together. No one rouge could kill this many men by themself." He had a point.

When rouges band together, something bad always comes out of it.

Always.

"Evan, I know this must be hard for your pack to deal with at the moment. I understand everyone is worried and upset about this but you need to make sure they don't panic." I started and the room was once again silent as I explained my plan for Evan. "Double border patrol and circulate patrols more often and in no specific pattern to throw them off. Rouges don't band unless they have a leader who was a high standing but was banished so try and find who is leading them."

Even nodded but I noticed he had some questions so I paused. "How are we supposed to be sure who the leader is?"

"Keep a rouge alive, question him. Once we find the leader, the problem will be gone."

...

I got home around 1 am to see my mate sound asleep on the couch. The TV was still on and the end credits of a movie was playing.

She looked so peaceful and comfortable on the couch.

I remember the conversation we had before I left and how defensive she became when I had to leave. It had been the first actual conversation we had ever had and I had to go and ruin what we had. She was delicate and I didn't want to start from the beginning.

I went in the kitchen and grabbed something quick to eat before I heard footsteps follow and I turned to see Elliot walk through the door.

It was an interesting sight. She had the blanket wrapped around her and her eyes were barely open at all. Half of her hair was matted down and one side if her face was red because she was laying on one side.

I chuckled and she sat down on the bar stool.

"Hey, Elliot. I'm sorry if I woke you up." I apologized but she just shrugged and put her head down on the counter. "Do you want anything to eat?"

She shrugged again so I grabbed a pop tart from one of the cupboards and set it beside her.

"Thank you." Elliot whispered. She grabbed the pop tart and nibbled on it as I grabbed a few things to eat.

A loud crash was heard from the main entrance and Elliot jumped. Her eyes that were half shut became wide and her heard wiped to the noise. She flinched at the loud voices that soon filled the apartment. One being her own brother's.

"Alpha, we have an issue." Travis said. His eyes widened when he saw Elliot. "My apologies for startling you, Luna Elliot."

He turned back to me and five other warriors ran in. "They just lit Dean's farm house on fire. No one can find Rachel."

Shit. This isn't good at all.

I looked at my mate and she was still in the chair except she had her knees to her chest in fear.. I slowly went over to her and kneeled down beside her. "Can you do me a favor, Elliot?" I grabbed her hand and she slowly opened her eyes to look at me. "I need you to go upstairs to my closet in my room. There is a door in the back behind the clothes. I need you to go in there and wait for me to come and get you. You will be safe and comfortable in there." She nodded and slowly got off of the chair before heading to where I told her.

I turned back to the warriors who were watching the interaction between their Alpha and Luna.

"So what happened?"

"A group of rogues broke through border patrol and attacked the farm closest to the west border."

.

I shifted into my wolf to have a better sense of smell. The scent of smoke was quick to reach my nose along with the rotting stench that followed rogues around.

If I didn't hold the power I did I wouldn't have been able to pick up Rachel's scent under everything else.

Rachel was Dean's, one of the pack farmers, daughter. She was only 10 but that didn't matter. Rachel was one of my pack members and I vowed to protect them.

After an hour of searching, I was able to follow her scent and find the child in the cemetery in front of her mother's headstone.

She told us how she heard the rogues and decided she should leave so she didn't get hurt.

.

I rushed back to the house as it neared 4 in the morning  and I was terrified of how afraid Elliot would be now. We were doing so well before I had to go to the meeting. I don't know if I was prepared to find out how much more she became closed off. Not being able to hold her in my arms at night made me feel pain through the bond.

I wanted to be able to hold her and connect with her, be someone Elliot could talk to.

She couldn't feel the bond like I could and I had no idea what to do. She deserved everything in the world and I didn't know how to get her to accept that.

..........

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the few reading this book:)