Chapter 21 | Oh, Mom

Friday, February 14 (Valentine's Day)

Last night I prepared for every thing. The chocolate, the gifts, the self-care routine of just misting and moisturizing my face to look good for today. I wanted to look/ feel my best for the exciting holiday and for Fred.

And the day should've felt special from the moment I got out of bed that morning to the second my eyes drifted off to sleep.

Yeah, that's NOT what happened.

~~~
"Hermione! It's Valentine's Day!" You exclaimed, beaming with delight. You practically dragged her out of her bed and spun her around a couple of times.

"Let's go downstairs!" You left her dizzy and yawning and fled down the flight of stairs.

The minute you saw Fred, you wrapped your hands around his neck and giggled.

"Up early, aren't we?"

You nodded in his chest. He patted your head and you let him go.

"I'm waiting to give you your gifts tonight," you told him. "I wanna make it more... Special!"

"Special, huh?"

You both smiled.

"Well," he said. "Shall we go get some breakfast?"

You walked down to the Great Hall, hand in hand, feeling particularly happy.

When you got down there, Ron and Harry were reading newspapers and laughing at all the love birds. George came up beside you and winked.

"They're only jealous, I reckon," he commented.

"For sure," Fred agreed.

You shook your head at the younger boys. "Harry could totally get a girlfriend if he tried. Ron's just... Well, it's not as if he wants anyone."

"Nonsense," George said, snickering.

Fred squeezed your hand as you three sat down. "Think maybe he has a thing for Hermione?" He whispered in your ear, making you shiver.

"Kudos to him."

"Well."

You giggled as he poked your side. To distract yourself, you held up a newspaper in front of your nose and mouth.

"Why are you hiding?" Fred asked, tweaking your nose through the newspaper. You held up the paper higher and shook your head.

As you looked into the paper, a few words caught your eye. Local witch critically injured in severe wreck with Muggle cars. What's she doing with those?

You frowned and showed Fred. "That's sad. I hope she gets better."

He scanned the article and then gasped and stared at you. "Did you know? I'm so sorry!"

"Huh?" You said, squinting at the paper. He pointed at a picture of the woman in medical care...

You couldn't believe your eyes.

You read the article multiple times, rereading the words "Muggle car", "witch", and the last one...

"Arabella (L/N)."