Chapter 8: Days of Future Past

There comes a time in life where you find yourself at a fork in the road, two paths. One continuing on the road you have always been and one that is undiscovered. The choice is up to you. It always has been, because you have the power to change your situation by changing yourself, changing the path that you are on.

Our life is made up by a series of choices. Sometimes we make ourselves walk down the path of mistakes, but that is how we learn, that is how we grow. We can always change course, as our future is not written by the mistakes of our past. At any given moment, you have the power to say this is not how your story is going to end. Write each chapter, write your unwritten story and do not let anyone else hold the pen. You are what determines your future, no one else.

So now I look back over my shoulder as I walk down this path. Flipping through the pages of my life that I have written and found where I took control of the pen and changed what it meant to be a spare.

I did not choose to go on the two paths laid out before me by my birthright.

I created one.

These are the events that led up to it.

————————————————-
May 6th 1989

6:45pm

"Just a few more pushes and the first twin will be out." The obstetrician, Doctor Halloran, encouraged the Crown Princess that the end of her labour was near and it was time to meet the new heirs to the Illyrian throne.

Squeezing her husband Frederick's hand, Elizabeth was thrilled to meet her twin babies that the Crown Prince couple had been waiting for over nine months to meet. They had kept the babies gender's a surprise, even from themselves.

"Ready to meet them?" Elizabeth exhaustedly muttered as Frederick wiped her forehead with a cool damp cloth.

"I have been for nine months love!" Frederick voiced proudly, not containing his excitement in the least.

"Arrgghh." Elizabeth moaned as another contraction flooded through her, her body writhing in pain.

"Ok push Elizabeth, baby wants out." The obstetrician gave her clear direction. "A little more, little more!"

"Good! I can see baby's head. With the next contraction I need small pushes." Doctor Halloran instructed.

Elizabeth nodded as she silently prayed for her babies to be ok. Glancing around the room she noticed the many people on standby on the chance they were not. The Crown Princess had a healthy pregnancy with no risk factors other than the potential complications of multiples.

Frederick noticed the worry that was storming in his wife's eyes. "Don't be scared love. They can't wait to meet you." Frederick's calming voice relaxed her. "They cannot wait to meet their mother."

"Here we go, little pushes now Elizabeth."

6:48pm

Elizabeth delivered a baby boy, the third heir to the throne as it filled the room with it's cries.

"It's a boy!" The obstetrician hollered in excitement as the room erupted into congratulatory cheers. Her son started wailing as he entered into the world, screaming as loud as his lungs could, as the sound brought tears of joy to both parents. Elizabeth lifted her head to see her son's face red as ever as he cried and cried before he was handed off to the Neonatal Intensive Care team to be examined.

Frederick left Elizabeth's side for a quick moment to welcome his son into the world. "How is he doctor?" Frederick reached out and gave his son a finger to wrap his tiny fingers around.