Chapter Nineteen

"Three, two, one, begin," the monotone voice rang out. I ducked behind a black wall. The teams were: Jimin, Jin, Hoseok, and I versus Namjoon, Yoongi, Taehyung, and Jungkook.

Everything was so dark in the huge arena room. The glowing plates on the walls and obstacles were the only lights in here. Jin, Hobi, and I advanced forward, eyes groping the shadowed areas. Who knew where Jimin was?

A gun peeked out from a hole in the wall, shooting Hoseok's chest sensor. Jin and I ran for cover. Hoseok crawled after us. I sneaked around the big center pillar and toward enemy lines. I peeked around a wall and spotted Namjoon. I shot his right shoulder sensor with no hesitation. He whirled around to search for his attacker. His mouth moved and Taehyung popped up out of nowhere, training his gun on me. I raced back around the center pillar, bumping into Jimin.

"Taehyung's right behind me. Let's corner him. I'll go this way," I whispered. He nodded and scampered the opposite way. I crept up the stairs to get a better view. I saw Jin and Namjoon facing off in the corner, Yoongi and Hoseok inches away from colliding, and no sign of Jungkook.

I spotted movement. It was Taehyung trying to roll behind the next obstacle. Instead, he performed a pathetic somersault across the floor, whacking his head.

I muffled my laugh. Jimin came up behind him and shot his gun sensor, disabling him for ten seconds. Jimin looked and found me. He gave me a thumbs up which I returned.

All of a sudden, his eyes widened and motioned wildly with his arms. Something - no - someone? Behind? Behind me?

I whirled around, coming face-to-face with a smirking Jungkook. He aimed his gun at me. My five years of taekwondo training instincts kicked in. Literally. I ducked and leg-swept his feet out from under him. He was sent to the ground. He looked completely stunned as I shot him in the chest and ran off. I hid in a crook on enemy territory, waiting for my next unsuspecting victim. Jungkook probably thinks I'm some insane assassin ninja person or something.

Taehyung recovered from his tuck-and-roll fail and walked right in front of me. I shot him and snickered at his angry/dumbfounded expression.

"Ten minutes remaining," the lady's voice announced. I shot Taehyung three more times, Namjoon four, Yoongi six, and Jungkook zilch. Where was he?

Just then, a hand covered my mouth and hauled me into the illest-lit part of the arena. I squealed, flailing my limbs. I elbowed the person in the ribs. They grunted and released me.

"Hey, it's just me," Jungkook whispered, rubbing his ribs with a grimace. "Ouch."

I pointed my gun at him threateningly. "What do you want?"

"Okay, that leg-sweep...was dope. You have to teach me that. Did you take taekwondo too?" he asked, doe eyes large and inquisitive.

"Yeah. Five Years," I answered, still not lowering my weapon.

"I only took two years of taekwondo. Never learned the leg sweep, though."

"That's the only reason you dragged me over here?To ask if I did taekwondo?"

"No, for this reason as well." Jungkook eased toward me, blocking my exit with his stocky arm. He leaned forward, closer and closer to my face. My heart leaped in my chest. What do I do? Make and excuse? Run? Kick him for all he's  worth? Or do I just let it happen?

My eyes started to flutter close involuntarily  when a beeper went off, meaning only one thing: he shot me. That brat shot me. He ran away, bunny-like grin upon his face, leaving my sensors blinking rapidly in sync with my pounding heart.