08. there's no place like homecoming

"That was your dad," said Veronica Hastings, hanging up her cellphone and placing it on the counter of her kitchen

Adaline looked up from her bowl of mac n' cheese Spencer had just made her and shoved another spoonful into her mouth.

"He said he just got home from The Grill and wanted to check up-" her voice was cut off by the ringing of her phone once more. "Excuse me."
Veronica answered the phone and excused herself from the room.

"What exactly happened?" said Spencer intensely, leaning in to Adaline.

"I left my bag on the counter, and I guess my phone was ringing, so my dad went to check on it, and he found... pictures," Adaline said, muttering the last part.

"What type of pictures?"

Adaline side eyed Spencer. She didn't want to answer that question.

"Bad pictures of me that could make me as a person of interest in Alison's case."

Adaline ate another spoonful of the mac n' cheese, before dumping the remaining in the trash can and placing the bowl in the sink.

"He doesn't believe I killed Alison, but that I had reasons to," said Adaline, marching up the stairs and down the hallway to Spencer's room. She threw herself onto the bed as Spencer closed the door behind her.

"That's what we get for blocking A," said Spencer, falling onto the bed next to Adaline.

"That bitch broke into my house and wrote on my mirror."

"Maybe we should just tell the truth about everything: The Jenna Thing, the drinking, the pills, the drugs," said Adaline regretfully, "A won't be able to keep out secrets against us if they aren't secrets."

"Yes, Addy. Let's go to the police and say we blinded a girl, made her step-brother take the fall, drank underage from alcohol we stole from the store, and bought pills and drugs illegally from college students," said Spencer sarcastically, "I know you mean well, but our lives will be ruined if we tell the truth."

"It seems like we might already have our lives ruined."

"What do you think?"

Adaline laid on her stomach, flipping through pages of a magazine as Alison tried on a plethora of fancy dresses. Alison spinned around, letting her long, curled, blonde hair whip around her and the dress ripple with the turns. As the spin came to a stop, the sky blue dress with pink undertones settled perfectly on her - a perfect 'V' on her chest, perfect length on her long, skinny legs, perfect everything. The sun danced off the sparkles, like a disco ball.