11. the perfect storm

"Morning, Mr. Argent," said Alison, walking down the stairs into the kitchen. Adaline was still upstairs, brushing her teeth.

Adam shuffled through the mail, throwing away the junk mail. "Good morning, Alison. Sleep well?"

"Like a baby," joked Alison. "Sorry for coming over so late last night, my parents were fighting again."

Adam waved her off with the mail in his hand. "It's no big deal, Alison. You're basically part of the family. All you girls are."

Adaline rushed into Spencer's kitchen, dropping her items onto the counter

Adaline rushed into Spencer's kitchen, dropping her items onto the counter. She was late, again, and the storm outside made it just as difficult to arrive punctually.

Months ago, when she stole a car, the police never got involved, but her dad took her license. Now, after months of gaining back his trust, Adaline was able to get both her license back and a new car. Grateful to no longer ask others for rides, she handed them out like candy on Halloween. She offered one to Emily, but the girl canceled it minutes ago, leaving Adaline to arrive at Spencer's alone.

"Where's Em?" asked Aria, knowing that Adaline was supposed to pick her up and bring her there.

"She texted me and said not to worry," said Adaline, shrugging. "Swim practice is running late, I think."

The other girls shrugged, knowing that Emily is an honest person, or at least she didn't tell them any lies.

"How many words do they expect you to learn in one night?" asked Hanna, shuffling through the stack of notecards in front of her. Adaline chuckled as she watched Spencer's face grow annoyed.

"Stringent?" asked Aria, flipping the notecard.

"Uh," muttered Spencer, racking through her memory. "Tough; flexible."

"It's not like you're going to use them," interjected Hanna, though nobody was listening to her.

"Meretricious?" said Aria, ignoring Hanna.

"It's not like you go to college and then-" Hanna gave the card in front of her a puzzled look. "-you start speaking a different language."

"It's about getting into college," said Spencer, being the first to reply to Hanna.

"Meretricious. Um.. Phony; Flashy."

Aria hummed in response, telling Spencer that she was right. Adaline threw her stuff onto the couch next to the Hasting's kitchen and pulled up a chair next to Spencer.

"Uh, Han, why are you still eating that?" asked Aria, disgusted.

Hanna gave her a confused look, like Spencer had just asked the dumbest question she had ever heard. "Because it's here."

"Put it in the garbage."

"Then I'd have to stand over the garbage and eat it."

Adaline chuckled at Hanna's retort, but Aria ignored it again, continuing with the next word. "Besotted."