24.Lists

"Of course. I've already gotten started" I told him handing him a paper with possible suspects. "This is every agent in the agency, Bunny. Including the two of us" he said after flipping through a few pages.

"And that's exactly where I need to start. By suspecting every single agent from the newest recruits to to even the retired agents" I told him taking back the list.

"It would go faster if you put together a team to help you" he commented. "I trust no one and I don't do teams" I bluntly said.

"Keep the investigation top secret then only tell someone if they fully have your trust. Report back to me with any progress" he said after a small sigh. "Understood. I'll be heading out for the day. You know how to contact me if you need me" I told him.

"You'll be in tomorrow, correct?" He asked. "Of course. It's a Tuesday after all" I reminded him. "Right. Since we're dealing with a mole we need some people with no previous involvement in agencies and it's that time of year again" Mark reminded me.

"The time for new recruits and training" I said knowing exactly what he meant. "I already have a list. Double check them and add anyone else that you can think of" he said as he handed it to me. "No complaints about anyone I add?" I asked. "As long as they aren't from A Planet's Death" he said.

"I'll have it ready by the end of tomorrow. When do you want to start the recruitment test?" I asked. "Wednesday" he said with a bit of hesitation. "I don't come in on Wednesdays" I stated. "It's important to get these done as soon as possible so that training can start up" he said. "I'll see what I can do but someone else might be running the tests this year" I warned before leaving.

***

I snuck into Izzy's house and quickly changed frowning at the new wound on my shoulder as I did. I was used to injuries so I barely felt it but it would be inconvenient until it healed up. As soon as I was changed, I found the twin's asleep in Izzy's bed and stood there watching them for a bit with a small smile before heading into the living room.

In there I found Izzy asleep on the couch and a pile of blankets set up for me. I plopped down on them and started reading through the alphabetically ordered list crossing out names that I disagreed with. Everything was going well until I reached the S section.

Staring me straight in the face was Simmons, Izzy. I circled her name wanting to know how and why the boss had noticed her. I stared over at her sleeping face with a trouble expression.

As much as she begged me to join the agency so she could be by my side, there were so many reasons to never let her in that world. Death and killing were commonplace. Hesitation would get you killed. To watch my best friend struggle. To watch her die in front of me if she makes a mistake. I never wanted to see that. I had the ability to ensure that I would never see it. To ensure her safety, I would have to lie to her about the recruitment lists.

At this point, it was just a matter of which would hurt me more, lying or worrying. To forever be on edge, having to worry about protecting someone else. Protecting others is what gets you killed. It's a mistake in a world filled with cold hearted people, including myself. Agents see an opportunity and they strike. If Izzy joined, she would become my biggest weakness.

All it would take to keep her out of the agency was a strike through her name and a lie to her face. The boss may have noticed she has potential but with everything going on he wouldn't be able to track her and verify my decision to remove her from the list. Even if he had the time, he'd follow my advice despite his findings. It may raise suspicion, but ultimately she would be removed.

However, the boss adding her to the list just verified what I already knew, Izzy had the talent to survive in this world. Despite my refusal to let her join, I knew her talent and potential and it seemed the boss did too. Every time I talked to her about a previous mission, I could see the wheels in her head turn. Analyzing, planning, and most importantly wondering what she would've done in the same situations.