.09

TIEBREAKERS AND MOONSTONES

"ALRIGHT, WE DON'T have much time. This is how we sabotage the demolition and stop them." Wyatt looked around the small crowd the pack had formed as he pointed to certain places on the blueprints he'd acquired. His eyes found mine after a moment, trying to know what I thought of his plan.

I looked to Willa, raising my brows slightly. Despite the pack knowing we had found out I was the Great Alpha, it wouldn't be official until I had the moonstone that had been saved for me. I had told Willa that it would merely be a symbol of my unity to the pack since I was already a wolf, but she still insisted that I have it. So until then, we would lead together.

"It's our responsibility to make sure we're all safe," Willa pointed out, making me nod in agreement. "Follow our lead."

"It's a good plan, Willa," Wyatt argued. "Coraline, what do you think?" He turned to me, forcing me to be the tiebreaker between the siblings. Willa turned and crossed her arms over her chest as she waited for my answer.

I contemplated both options for a moment. The moonstone was at stake here, and we couldn't let it be crushed underneath the demolition site, but the pack also needed to be safe and not get caught. I gnawed on the inside of my cheek nervously, earning a raised brow from Willa at how long it was taking me to decide. "Both are good plans, but—"

"What plan?" The voice of Addison interrupted me, causing myself and the rest of the pack to turn and face the cheerleader.

"We're going after the moonstone. Top secret. You can't tell anyone," Wynter rushed out, earning glares from the other wolves. "Bad wolf, bad wolf!" she scolded herself, pressing her hands to the sides of her head.

"You're going after the moonstone now?" Addison asked, her tone filling with slight worry.

"It won't survive the detonation," Wyatt filled her in, rolling the blueprints up and holding them at his side.

"Then let me join you. I'm ready to become a wolf," Addison urged, gripping the wooden box that held the stone tightly in her palm. An odd feeling surged through me at her actions, knowing that she would have to be told that she wasn't the Great Alpha soon; it made me feel bad. The feeling that I was taking something away from Addison that she yearned to be part of spread through my body and made me shift on my feet.

"If you really are one," Willa remarked, gesturing her hand outwardly to Addy.

Wyatt must've noticed my sudden discomfort, most likely already knowing what I was thinking. He took a step forward, standing closely beside me and letting his hand wriggle into my own before giving a soft squeeze, as if to transfer a sort of confidence to tell the peppy cheerleader the truth. A shaky breath left my lips. I didn't want her to think that this was something planned; that I stole this from her.

"Addison, about the Great Alpha—"

She opened the box, her face paling and jaw slacking as she looked into it, causing me to cut myself off. She brought it closer to her face as if to confirm what she was seeing. "It's gone." Addison looked up, gulping lightly.

"You lost it?" Wynter whimpered slightly, a tone of disappointment in her voice as she stepped forward.

"Do you know how precious a moonstone necklace is?" Willa asked. "If she was serious about being a wolf—if she turned out to be the Great Alpha, she wouldn't have been so careless."