.14

CRASHING THE PARTY

"BAD NEWS. THE library didn't have anything about another moonstone or—or any alternative power source." I ran a hand through my hair tiredly. "The whole trip was useless." My voice was quiet as Wyatt and I stood in the forest a few yards away from the den. He'd met me here instead of letting me get to the cave, the anxiousness and anticipation of the outcome of the trip making him impatient.

He grabbed my forearms gently without saying anything, knowing that the trip being unsuccessful was the last thing I wanted. He pulled me into a hug, wrapping his arms around my smaller figure as he set his chin on the top of my head. "We're going to find something," he muttered to me. "Don't worry."

I felt myself relax at his words as my arms snaked around his waist and I leaned my head into his chest. I took in the scent of pine and vanilla coming off of him; it was comforting. I could hear the steady beat of his heart, causing the corner of my lips to turn up nonchalantly despite the previous situation. I didn't know when or how, but somewhere along the line, Wyatt stopped being just an acquaintance or friend; he was more than that, I couldn't keep denying it. He was there when I needed to be calmed down, he was there when I needed help or someone to stand up for me, and as selfish as it sounds, I want him to keep being there.

"Why are you so sweet?"

A chuckle reverberated through his chest at my blunt question as I felt him glance down to me. "Do you not want me to be?" I could practically feel the smirk growing on his face as the words left his mouth.

"I'm not complaining." I pulled away a little bit, just enough to meet his gaze. "Just wondering." My head titled to the side slightly as I looked to him. "What's you're motive?"

"What's my motive?" Wyatt repeated, a playful scoff leaving his lips. The corners of his mouth turned upwards into a smile, causing the small dimples in his cheeks to show up. He let out a soft sigh, his brown eyes scanning over my face before meeting my gaze again. I could feel Wyatt move his hand up to my neck and gently brush part of my hair back behind my ear, his hand cupping my jaw carefully afterwards. The action made my breath hitch in my throat and my heartbeat to speed up slightly.

"I like you, Coraline," he admitted, his voice soft, but holding a minor, nervous edge. "I thought it was obvious."

It was obvious through how he spoke to me and acted, part of my mind was just in denial. You could never be too sure in situations like these.

I stayed quiet for a few moments, causing the werewolf's nerves to become a bit more apparent than before. The sight made me bite the inside of my cheek to stifle a giggle, but I couldn't hide the smile that fought its way onto my face. His hand slowly fell from my jaw and to his side as he took a minuscule step back, stuffing his hands in his pockets awkwardly.

"Yeah, great now you're laughing. I didn't—I didn't read that entire thing right at all, did I?" The boy ran a hand through his hair, trying to calm his nerves. "God, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

I cut him off, grabbing his hand and gently tugging him back towards me. I stood on my toes and planted a soft kiss on his cheek before falling back down to the heels of my feet. His face reddened, the blush creeping onto his skin making me laugh. "You read it right," I assured him, nodding my head. "I like you, too."

"Of course they get together right before we're bound to die," Willa remarked in a hushed tone.