4: black ice

"It hasn't been this crowded on the road for a while," Taehyung muttered, squinting out the windshield, "But that may be because it's lunch hour. I haven't gone home this early in years."

Kookie smudged the window with his nose, looking back and forth at all the moving cars around them.

His ears pricked, interested, probably because he'd never driven in the middle of town. 

He didn't even hear Taehyung's mutter.

The man couldn't help the smile on his face at the sight of the wolf, acting like a normal animal, pawing the window like he wanted to roll it down and stick his head out against the wind.

The sight amused Taehyung, warming his heart.

Maybe he was glad he hadn't backed down on letting Areum take care of Kookie.

Maybe.

He certainly wasn't regretting the decision anymore.

He turned his attention back to the road, taking care to stay slow against the slick spots.

The town hadn't done well against black ice that day, and it was showing. Someone had been lazy in applying salt.

That thought made Taehyung angry.

People could easily wreck in these conditions! Why were they being so lazy when the population depended on the roads being clear and safe?

As though he sensed something in the air had changed, Kookie turned and looked at Taehyung.

Ears still pricked, he tilted his head, panting.

Hot air streaming into the car probably wasn't best for the wolf, but Taehyung certainly needed it before he caught something making him miss even more work.

He shook his head, "I hope Areum, doesn't have trouble getting home today..." he mused, suddenly worried. "What if the bus slides into a ditch? Hits something? This road is way too icy for any sane person to drive on if he didn't have to."

Kookie grunted, peering out the window again.

Taehyung nodded, certain, "You know what, I'll drop you off, call the school, and pick-"

A blaring screech cut him off, followed by a crash.

Taehyung clammed his foot down on the brakes before he hit the car in front of him, who had done the exact same for the wrecked cars in the intersection before them.

His tires screeched against the pavement, the noise making Kookie whimper in pain.

But Taehyung couldn't focus on the wolf.

There was smoke curling outside.

"Goddamn it!" Taehyung cried, already out of the car before he could process his thoughts.

For now, all he could think about was that there might be injuries.

As he ran, he pulled out his phone, dialing emergency services.

One of the cars had flipped, the driver struggling to crawl out of the crushed door, glass making the woman's hands bloody.

He told services what happened as he helped the woman, asking if anyone else was in the vehicle.

She gasped, spinning around, and clawing at the cracked glass on the back seat window. She called for someone, presumably a daughter, by the name.

Taehyung ended the call, gently pushing the woman aside so he could assess the damage.