Pure

St. Petersburg, Florida
May, 2006

Violet

Girl number three came today.

It had been so long, I didn't think he would remember.

Foolish on my part, really.

She had dark chocolate skin, dark brown eyes and thick, full dark brown hair.

But she was pretty. He liked pretty.

He was running late for something, so he didn't stay for a second before rushing out.

Our black friend simply sat and stared at us, not saying anything.

"Hello," I said first. "My name is Violet, what's yours?" She tilted her head before replying, "Necha. My name na Necha." Her accent was very thick and she clearly didn't speak much English. I wondered if that would frustrate him and I hoped it did. It was one thing to adopt from this country.

But going all the way to Africa? He must have been desperate. I heard a growl and realised that it was her stomach. I went to my secret stash and gave her a pack of cookies. She nodded and started eating. I pointed to the other girls, "Necha, this is Savannah and this is Jordan." She nodded but said nothing and kept eating.

"Necha, I need you to change your name," I said. She frowned, "Why I go change my name? My name na fine name, e means pure. I no wan change am. Na my papa give me that name." I felt an avalanche of emotions run through me. Her name meant pure.

She wasn't going to be pure soon enough.

I felt the best option was to let her be.

I woke up at the feeling of someone slapping my arm. I turned and saw Necha. Her eyes were shining yellow.

So he had finally done it. Yippee.

Surprisingly, Necha wasn't crying. In fact, she just seemed agitated but not hurt. "I no understand waitin that man do me. I no fit sleep again," she said. She was obviously bothered by her cat side. I made her sit beside me and explained the situation to her. Jodi and Vannah helped me calm her down. Eventually she stopped bouncing and just sat.

After a while, Vannah asked, "Didn't he touch you?" Necha nodded. Jodi frowned, "And you aren't bothered?" Necha snorted, "Na the first time? Before I come here, people don already touch me. I no fit waste tears." Her attitude inspired me. We were hurt, yes. But we didn't have to let that bother us.

"Tamala," Necha said. "Huh?" I asked, confused. "My new name na Tamala. I see am for the TV wey dey his office," she said. Then she smiled.

I smiled back.