Hard things to do

Somewhere over Italy

Violet

I chewed my apple quietly as I looked out the window, lost in my own thoughts.

I thought carefully over my promise to Jodi. Did I really have to tell the girls? They must want the house gone, it was pretty old anyways. But the memories, the ashes... As much as I hated to admit it, maybe Jodi had a point.

Koby walked in, "I got news. Got a hit on the Russo guy." We waited for the other girls to come and soon, all ten of us were present. I smiled as I saw Essence, her old fire already coming back. Whatever Jodi said must have done the trick.

"Luciano Russo is a businessman and art connoisseur. He has a large collection of expensive paintings and sculptures, and is known to help aspiring artists get their big debut. It's a family kind of thing, and it's an honour to be chosen by them, so he's a pretty big deal," Koby said. Ember raised a brow, "What's a guy like him doing with Gutierrez?"

Took the words right out of my mouth. Gutierrez was not the kind of guy to buy anything from.

"Russo doesn't just collect paintings, he collects any form of art that's worth his money. Contrary to earlier thoughts, the sculpture Julius used isn't just any old sculpture, it's an expensive masterpiece called Heart of the Siren. Russo probably just thinks he bought a sculpture, not knowing there's a chip inside," Koby explained. So it's Julius' fault. As always. "Well unfortunately, we still have to steal it. Any ideas," Zephyr said.

"That's actually going to be a problem. Russo is a very private guy, no social media and very few articles about him on the net. On the plus side, I did find out that he's hosting an exhibit, unveiling the work of his latest protege," Koby said. "It's happening in a hall in Rome."

"We need to infiltrate the place, but how?" Paris said. How indeed. I raised my head and paused as I saw Tammi reading from Koby's laptop.

I think we just found our spy.

Rome, Italy
November 12th, 2020
7:05 PM, Italian time

Tamala

I tried - keyword being tried - to relax as Essence continued brushing my face but it was pretty hopeless.

"Tamala Sinclair, if you don't keep still this instant, I'll poke your eye with my brush!" Essence said.

I winced, "I'm sorry, you know how I am with makeup."

"Well suck it up, this is for the greater good," she said and continued brushing my face. I held back a groan. I really hated make-up.

I heard Koby chuckle. "Just stay calm and let her work."

I scowled, "You don't have a problem with makeup, don't judge."

Koby chuckled again but didn't answer me.

"All done. This is the best I could do with you moving around like a worm," Essence said, giving me a slight glare. I don't know what she's so upset about. Everyone knows I don't like makeup.

"All you need now," Ess said as she checked under the table, "are these."

I scowled, "Hell no. I am not walking in those death traps." Heels. She wanted me to wear heels. Now I know she's gone mad.

Essence rolled her eyes but I stood my ground. No way was I wearing those five inch contraption made for causing girls pain. Luckily, Shannon appeared with a pair of wedges. Such a lifesaver.

After wearing my shoes, Essence perfected my straight jet black wig and gave me comms to talk with them.

"You are Quinn Gutierrez, Faustino's niece. Your parents died in a plane crash and your loving uncle was gracious enough to take you in. You graduated from high school and now studying in America, got it?" Koby said.