Entry Six: How To Overcome

After I was adopted, started to have nightmares about what happened to me. I didn't know what to do and because I didn't do anything about it the nightmares started to get worse and worse. I talked to my parents and my older sister about it and they thought I should go to counseling.

I went to counseling for a long time because my parents wanted me to talk to someone about what had happened in my life. So I did that but it didn't help me as I felt like talking to a stranger about what happened in the past without knowing me was hard. Though I didn't like it, I pushed past it because my adoptive parents thought it was good for me. When my nightmares disappeared and they thought I was done, they let me stop going.

However, I still get those nightmares and I still don't know what to do. My adoptive family suggested I go back into counseling but I told them it was too uncomfortable for me to talk to a stranger about my problems. So I devised my own plan of going to my friends who knew me personally and could give me advice in a way that I felt comfortable with. And that way works perfect for me.

While I don't understand why I have to be tormented by terrible things, I do know one thing. I know that my Heavenly Father is wants to help me and has a reason for everything. Maybe those nightmares are telling me something that I need to ask my birth family about. All that I know is that I am in a better place than before and in the end that's what matters.

No matter what you are going through, you can overcome. You don't need to be stuck in the past because you won't get anywhere. I had to fight myself to get through what I have been through. There are people put there going through this or worse things and that knowledge helps me. I want you to all know that I know how you feel and I know that you can get through it. Keep being strong and courageous because when you do your life will be so much better. You will find guidance and direction to help to yourself. Then once you receive that you can help other people who are struggling and push them along the path. Don't give up. If nobody else believes in you, know that I do.