Chapter Seven

"Nick, can you take me somewhere?" I asked sweetly, rocking on my feet.

"Sorry shorty, got some work to do, maybe later." He picked up his bag and left the kitchen. Guess I would just be walking then.

A week has passed since the school caught on fire and they still haven't found us a temporary place yet. A few days ago, I found a bill in Chris's office from a hospital, the one his mother was at. It had her room number on it and everything so I thought I would go visit her. Chris was at work today, he had been working more this past week so I had a lot of spare time. I wanted to have a chance to meet his mother so I was planning to go see her.

I had put on some white leggings, black leather boots and a black shirt long sleeve shirt that said Love in gold letters along with a golden heart. I had the address to the hospital and when I put it in my phone, it was an hour away, walking distance. I didn't have anything else to do so I was fine with that. I got a small back pack and put two water bottles in it along with 2 sandwiches and some cookies. I knew I would get hungry sooner or later so I was prepared. The maid was nowhere to be found and since Nick just left, I was all alone. That was a good thing cause then I could leave without any trouble. And that's what I did.

I walked out the door and followed the map on my phone, it wasn't that hard. It was going to be a while so I took out the book I packed in it earlier. I had trained myself to walk and read when I was at my foster home, it let me tune all the other kids out that were getting on my nerves. Time was passing as I read my book and I occasionally looked at my phone to see if I needed to turn at all. I hoped his mom would be nice, it would make me love the trip there so much more. She was ill but she could still be mean.

I read the whole time there and didn't really think that much, I got there faster than I thought I would and it took me an hour and 10 minutes. When it was in my sight, I put my book back in my bag and sped up. I came to the entrance and the doors slid open so I walked in and went to the front desk.

"Hello there sweetie, how can I help you?" The receptionist asked me.

"Well I'm here to see Joyce Hawkins, she's in room 334." I said, placing my hands on the counter. She typed something in her computer and a second later looked at me.

"And what's your name?" She asked.

"María."

"Sorry, there's no María listed under the visitors list, only her son Chris. Sorry sweetie."

"Chris is my guardian." I said.

"I still can't let you pass. Come back with him." I frowned and left the desk but as soon as she looked away, I ducked under the counter and walked over to the doors. I realized they could only be opened if she pressed a button but then a nurse passed by with a cart and she opened it. As soon as the nurse passed, I ran in behind her and stood all the way up, trying to not look suspicious.

I looked around and realized all the room numbers here started with 1 because I was on the first floor so I got on the elevator to go to the third floor since her room number started with a three. My assumptions were right because when I got off, I found her room down the hall. It was slightly ajar and I gulped, pushing it open just a little more.

"Who's there?" I heard a woman's voice. I stepped inside and looked down at my shoes, afraid to make eye contact with her.

"Well who might you be?" She asked me and I lifted my head to see her sitting up in her bed. Boy, was she beautiful.

"I-I'm María." I spoke softly.

"I don't know a María."

"I live with your son, Chris. His best friend was my father."